My insurance has a $7,000 deductible.. what is the point? NY

jarkody

I was on Medicaid when I made $20,000 ish a year and it was amazing. I got a new job this year and I believe my annual income will be around $30,000 now and I have lost Medicaid. I looked around for another option but they were all around $300 a month, so I opted for my work insurance which is $100 a month but $7,000 deductible. I rarely use it so assumed it would be fine, but an emergency happened and I had to have bloodwork done. So now if I understand it correctly, I pay out of pocket up to $7,000? That’s kind of crazy especially when I pay monthly, what is really the point?

@jarkody I’ve got a $7000 deductible on mine too but I make a bit more ($50k annual) and also formerly on Medicaid. It’s pretty terrible situation but there are still advantages to being insured, like negotiated rates for network doctors, and usually plans have a lot of preventative stuff covered, like a physical, routine screenings.

But if you’re struggling to pay your medical bills, ask the provider for a payment plan. I think changes to credit reporting happened recently for medical debt under $500 can not be reported on credit reports, but for the most part, get on a payment plan or it can mess up your credit. When I was on Medicaid, I had a $500 ER visit that I couldn’t pay and made the mistake of stopping my small payments on it, went to collections and messed up my credit for the next 7 years.

@jarkody Depending on policy and tests blood work may be covered. We have high deductibles but most routine lab work is covered. We pay copays for doctors. It’s confusing for sure. As your MD office/lab/hospital etc for an estimated cost. Shop around if it’s not emergent.