My father had shares in Reliance

fiafabes

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask but I really need some inputs on this one. I have zero idea on shares and how they work.
I found a letter kinda document with details about my father’s e-voting for his shares in Reliance. We have no knowledge if he had shares elsewhere or the details of this one. I recall him telling me about shares he kept for me and my brother. I am the eldest daughter. My mom and everyone else has no idea about this and even if I tell, they wouldn’t be interested to find out.
This letter came in 2018 and my father passed in 2015. So my guess is maybe the shares are still there.
So my question is if there is a possibility that I can trace those shares and is it worth it?
I have shared the same with my manager as he told me he has a friend who could help but I didn’t hear back from him till now.

@fiafabes Just mail it to reliance corporate. They will help you. You can also track them by mailing SEBI, and sharing them with the Pan number.
It's easier than you think. Just start the process, they will guide you.
Go to the websites of reliance and SEBI, and find there mail I'd, then mail them

@fiafabes Hi OP. My family went through a similar situation, but not exactly the same. My suggestion would be to chase the shares, it may take years to come to you, but it will be worth it. I would recommend contacting a helpline - it should be on the letters you’re receiving - and seeing what works best thereon.

It is possible to obtain the shares without a broker, but it will need you to be more familiar with equity and patient with the process.

@fiafabes If possible, try to get old bank statements of your dad’s bank accounts. If he’s been getting dividends, you can try to find which companies credited how much dividends per share on those dates. Also, try to get his holdings in mutual funds by searching by his PAN number on AMFI suggested brokers (CAMS and KFIN)

@fiafabes
  1. Check his emails. CDSL usually sends out emails detailing investments in shares & mutual funds etc to the holder.
  2. If you have the Folio Number & Share numbers, phone & ask / Email to the "registrar" of that company who will help you will further details, if you explain to them that your father had passed away, and you are one of the heirs requesting them to help claim these shares.

@eaglescout88 I do not have access to his emails(I was very young and i don’t even know if he had an email).

And in the letter, there’s a folio number/DP ID client ID written but when i googled it, the description of a folio number is not matching the one in the document. Maybe I can ask them about it?

@fiafabes If you have folio number that is enough. Contact your broker casually and try to ask them for details and just give the folio number. Don’t disclose too much info about your father etc . All you need to say this is the folio - can you track these for me and let me know. He may have also sold the stocks so we don’t really know. I recently found some mutual funds certificates of my father and of them he had liquidated half of those in 2009 and the other half we were able to get funded to our accounts.

@lyanveness I do not have a broker. If i contact any broker, will they provide me the details? I m sorry but i do not know anything on this matter hence the questions.

So when you say “ he had liquidated half” you mean the broker did or your father did?

@fiafabes If you don’t have a broker as others suggested, you can try to contact Reliance corporate office and try to find out.

Apparently my father did but he doesn’t remember. The mutual fund house was able to track and provide us reference information on when he liquidated and gave us the transaction numbers of the deposit into our accounts. the fund house has that info.

@fiafabes rilinvestor@kfintech.com should help you if you have the folio details. They usually take around 4-5 days to reply over email. You can try KFin office phone at 1800 309 4001. Mention the folio and they will tell you the quantity of shares held.

By any chance of you stay in hyderabad, you can visit the Gachibowli office and they will help you in person
DM me for further details

@fiafabes I've an ongoing claim for RIL with IEPF. Dm if you need any help. Usually shares get transferred to IEPF after 7 years of inactivity I.e. Not claiming dividends etc etc.

The registrar for RIL I.e. KFinTech will be able to guide you further. Their email is as follows rilinvestor@kfintech.com. Do not forget to mention folio number.

Dm me for any query.