My 9 Month COVID Project: A Free and Comprehensive Net Worth Tracker

mualahartik

Hi everyone,

In April I started working on a net worth tracker for myself. Somewhere along the way it morphed into a sheet for friends, family, and anyone looking to get a hold of their finances. The goal of the sheet is provide you certainty about your financial situation in a time of uncertainty.

Advantages of the sheet over other net worth trackers:
  • 100% Free
  • No APIs that constantly break. Other trackers that have APIs have to constantly update them and experience periods where the connection is broken.
  • Your data is yours. We have no access to your data when you make a copy.
  • The sheet is setup to last for many years with minimal to no updates
  • Full user guide to make the sheet easy to learn and use
Highlights of the sheet:
  • Motivating goal tracking
  • Customizable dashboard
  • High level of detail if you want it, high level overviews if you don't
  • Ability to track self employed users
  • Ability to track individuals and couples
  • Wedding expense tracker if you need it
In addition to the sheet, I created a full user guide to allow you to jump in and start taking control of your finances.

The Money Checklist

and

User Guide

If you like the sheet, share it!

Thank you and happy holidays!

Edit: added the word "and" between the sheet and user guide

Edit 2: Updated the link to Version 1.1. On the Instructions tab I included all changes made due to the help of this community.

For users with the old version, updating to the new version is as simple as copying and pasting beige cells from the 1.0 version to the 1.1 version. You can copy groups of cells at one time. Just be careful not to copy white cells with the beige. If you copy and paste columns G and H on the Bank Activity tab, the dropdowns will not appear but the sheet will still calculate correctly. Follow the user guide if you need the dropdowns to appear for some reason.

@mualahartik Awesome, I've been looking forward to your completed worksheet since your first post :) I do have a question as a non American... Is it possible to make adjustments to the pension and tax section so that it can work for Canada for example? I see that those fields should not be modified, so I was hoping there may be another way.

@thesinner07 I want to make a Canadian version in the future. I honestly don't know enough about the differences between US and Canadian retirement right now. It would still work for tracking the vast majority of your finances.