Move now or later in career when JPY is better? Japanese-American considering FAANG opportunity

@gingermarie I know which company you are referring to. L6 level? :)

I can contribute the following thoughts:

- Are you familiar with work culture in Japan? It seems your communication with Japanese workers would not be an issue but would their ways of thinking about work match yours? It's worth trying out - a different experience for sure. I suppose the risk is not so much in Marketing as it is in tech or process oriented jobs. Your ethnic background and language skills should help you understand the Japanese consumer market..

- The Japanese yen is a losing horse at the moment. Nobody can predict the future with certainty. Can they pay you in USD? If its the company I think it is, I think the answer is no.

- The most important point. FANG companies are highly overrated. Will you be happy working late hours like your Japanese colleagues? I speak from experience. It sucked badly. I never want to work for a FANG company again. I'd work for a small company and even earn a little less for mental peace.

Only you know what's good for you. It's not that moving to Japan is bad for you or not fun, it just sounds you are on a successful career course in the USA and are tempted to move to a country because of your heritage and your love for it? It happens to us non-Japanese too ;-)

Worst case scenario: you move to Japan, aren't happy, can you move back with an internal transfer to their US branch and resume your life?

I hope that helps.

@seobts02 EVERY SINGLE TIME someone chimes in with this. Please do a little research if you don’t know what you’re talking about.

If she was dual citizen at birth she doesn’t need to renounce. She only needs to choose a nationality and if she chooses Japan then she should “endeavor” to renounce but there is no penalty if she never succeeds.

@manishk012 Renounce= choice in reality. You lose one nationality. There are also penalties. You can also lose your Japan passport in some cases. Lack of current active enforcement does not make it legal.