Mortgage increasing by £250p/m wiping out savings

oddexperience

Due to the ridiculous interest rates at the moment we're looking at around £250 p/m increase on out £130k mortgage. Currently we save around £300 a month so it's basically wiping that out completely. Is it worth saving £50 per month at all?? Is it worth putting it into premium bonds? What would you do, and are there any decent side hustles that might help offset?

@oddexperience I'm assuming you don't have other debt and you have an emergency fund in place. If you have debt or don't have the emergency fund, then put that £50 towards those.

If you've got those covered, I'd use that extra £50 to put into the mortgage and put other savings and investments (other than your work pension) to one side for now.

If you don't want to do that, then putting £50 a month in a savings account is better than saving nothing at all. Depending on what you've already got savings wise, then make the most of your various tax free and ISA allowances.

@anita007 Pretty solid. We have £500 a month in for food and household which we could tighten up but not by much.

Other expense are just bills (energy, water, council tax, car insurance/tax, life and house insurance, netflix and Spotify)

Pet insurance we could cut but it would be an absolute last resort with an 8 year old dog.

Basically we already don't go on holidays, don't have car payments, shop in charity shops/vinted only, shop in Aldi. Don't know what else we can do!

@myopier I'm going on Mat leave in 5 months (talk about bad timing) but husband is possibly getting a pay rise in October but I don't think it would be an additional £250 p/m

@oddexperience You can cancel Spotify and Netflix. Radio is free, and you can survive fine on the 50+ channels on freeview.

That’ll save you another £20 per month which is 40% more than £50. It could mean the difference to being able to pay for an expected bill and being broke.

Also, look at MSE guide to bank switching. I got £1000 cash back from doing 5 bank switches in 4 months. You can both do that, and get £1-2000.