Money being owed to contractor after house fire.

deaconpete

Hello all,

I had a house fire last superbowl Sunday. House is 98% complete. I'm now having an issue with the builder.

The issue is we had change orders to the house. He quoted them and we approved. Now is coming back saying more money is due over and above the fees for said change order, and not only that certain changes he made he never quoted us on a price for it.

We have paid him all the insurance money +- $63k for approved change orders.

Certain things where down. We had a step down loft that we brought up to the main floor level. Change order was approved for that quoted around 3500. He never quoted us on moving the ductwork and now wants money for it.

Quoted 23k for new cabinets paid and installed.

Quoted 1500 for running new plumbing in bathroom approved and paid for.

Quoted 3k for tiling. Bathroom and kitchen backslash. Approved and paid for.

Quoted 8500 for new counter tops (quartz) approved and paid for.

He's coming back and Nickel and diving certain things. Door stoppers these show up on the paid estimate.

A light fixture he moved and put in the wrong place. Charging us for.

I think what happened is he might have cut into his margins to much and is now to trying to recoup it.

We first off are not going to pay him the remainder until everything is done. He has been paid close to 400k from insurance and us. We have paid him on time for all issues, and now of course the work has slowed down since we have moved in.

I don't know if I can't counter proposal him. But he hasn't been super quick on finishing the job, and my proposal Is a reasonable time line to finish. (Paint caulk install some shoe molding) they will tell me they are coming out to finish it and no one does. Than when we call its numerous times with texts as well with no response. I've made it clear the last payment will not come until work is completed, and he had an attitude about it.