Minimum to bring when buying a house - your honest opinion based on experience

@eagonzalez Having bought three in the last three years I’d say you are wildly incorrect. Big layouts, big living rooms, dining rooms and ridiculous amounts of storage space.

Although to be fair I don’t recall the exact layout of one of the lots because we tore the house down for a garden, but it was a huge corner lot.

@eagonzalez If you go north to say Kawaguchi in Saitama you can definitely get houses for that budget. West is stretching it but Tachikawa would be possible (about 30 mins away). However one factor is that these houses will lose value much more than central Tokyo.

@seedofessence You will need at a minimum -

•5% earnest money (this is negotiable but 5% is generally expected as it gives the seller confidence in your financial ability)

•1.5% to cover the first half of the realtor fees which are often paid at time of signing contract (you can search for a realtor with lower fees or try to negotiate for later payment).

These can be included in the mortgage loan, so they “come back” to you on closing.

So with a 7000 man property, you should be aiming for something like 450 man cash in hand to get you through the transaction (which can take several months).

@seedofessence Also recently bought a place, PR, wife Japanese, kid 5 yrs old, decent job. We bought new, fully financed with only about 3mil of our own money used for the various fees (pay owner to hold, pay fees to agent etc). The bank did offer to fully finance the fees as well, didn't seem to be a problem from their end. We decided not to.

As othera mentioned, a used house might complicate things slightly, but as always, it depends on the value (and resell value according to the bank).

@seedofessence I am an realtor in tokyo

Since you got PR and High income , Married,...

I would say you can Use Frat 35 for 100% loan

Would love to help you apply for loan and find house if you interested

@seedofessence First, contact PRESTIA, Resona, and any other bank you might want to work with and get a pre-approval. Just pick a property on Sumo that closely matches your ideal size, cost, and location for the pre-approval. More expensive is better as this is a test to check how much you can get in loan. The pre-approval will be done in a day or two or just over a phone call. This will roughly reflect the amount of money the bank is willing to loan you. If they cover 100% then, check what is your max allowance for loan. Different banks will give you different rates and loan amounts and terms. For comparison I got the following pre-approvals using different properties and banks: 100M at 0.3%, 120M at 0.5%, 98M at 0.27%, 80M at 1.2%. PRESTIA did about 5 pre-approvals for various properties I submitted. Resona did 3 pre-approvals. SBI Shinsei did do any pre-approval but they gave me their maximum amount in loan they can provide based on my annual income and property to be purchased in 23-ku Tokyo.

At 13M yen (assuming you’ve been working in the same company for at least 4 years) PRESTIA would probably cover 80M to 97M. If you have a shorter tenure than coverage would be less. You can ask for max allowance and cover all fees and expenses in your loan.

For down payment you may need 2-4M in cash. Typically this is the cash advance you would make to “hold” the property for you when your apply to buy and process loans. If you buy a new property built and sold by a developer then you most likely don’t have to pay a realtor fees and can skip the cash down payment. Most of these developers do “full service” as in hold your hand and take you from 0 yen to house. If you contract with a house maker or builder they will bring their own agent for land search and either discount the realtor fees or exempt it.

I recently purchased a corner plot of land in 23-ku and built my own house. During that process I almost bought a second-hand house, a newly built house, and a newly built condo. So the above information is from personal experience. Take it with a grain of salt as your experience and milage may vary. I had 20M in cash on hand. I used about 7M in down payment and expenses like realtor fees, scriveners fees, property tax, acquisition tax, bank loan fees, etc. The loan covered my entire property costs including landscaping (at 0.3% rate). I splurged a bit on top of all that. By the time we finished construction, my cash balance was just 6M yen.

Location is key when you pick properties. We prioritized: being close to Kichijoji, 20-30 minutes from Shibuya or Shinjuku by train. Close proximity to a co-ed school and all girls school (not sure what the future hold, prepared for a girl or boy) and easy access to leave Tokyo by car on weekends. The only downside was my commute is 40-60min now which is annoying but reasonable.

@shesadaisy Thank you for the detailed information.
I’ll work a bit more on my savings , come March it’s bonus time which should help a bit.

I’ve been a employee (seishain) for almost 7 years so I’m not worried about that , and the 13m is base pay …. my yearly end of year tax always comes up a bit higher