[Maryland] Unresolved Unemployment Insurance Claim After Quitting Unsafe Job

mottorpop

I wanted to share my experience with unemployment insurance after quitting my job due to unsafe work conditions. I have a weekly benifit amount of $430. I have been filing my weekly certifications for the past 14 weeks, and unfortunately, I haven’t received any response from the unemployment office. Here’s my story:

I was working at a trucking company where safety was severely compromised. Despite raising concerns with my employer, the situation didn’t improve. I decided to prioritize my well-being and quit the job. After leaving, I promptly filed for unemployment insurance, hoping for financial support during this transition.

I followed the proper procedure by submitting my claim online. I provided all necessary details, including the reason for quitting (unsafe work conditions, I have many records of them trying to get me to commit unsafe illegal acts multiple times). I also continue to file my weekly certifications every week as required by the unemployment insurance division. However, despite my efforts, there has been no communication from the agency.

The lack of updates has left me frustrated and anxious. I understand that processing claims takes time, but the silence is disheartening. I’ve reached out via phone and email, but still no response. Has anyone else faced a similar situation? How long did it take for your claim to be resolved?

I am having a very hard time finding a job. I am about to be evicted, I am considering taking money out of my retirement account due to hardship.

@mottorpop You have to pick up the phone and call until you get through. Calling straight for an hour or two usually does it. Something is completely wrong with your claim and you can only find out by calling.

If you can't call, send an overnight letter demanding a callback.

@mottorpop Did an official government body rule the conditions were unsafe? OSHA?

Is the back and forth between you and your boss about the conditions email or text that you have copies of?

If yes on both of the above, you have a good chance.