@cliffusngmg1 First of all, condolences on the passing away of your mother, I hope that whatever she left for you will be able to assists you in meeting your life challenges ahead.

It is common to be overwhelmed with a massive inheritance, and not knowing what to do with it. My personal advice to handle it would be as follows:
  1. Plan your expenses for the immediate, medium and long term.
(i) Immediate: Do you have an emergency saving account, that comprises of at least 3-6 months of your current monthly expenses? If you don't have, then the FD can be kept as it is (or find another bank which would give better RoR).

I assume that you would have a moderate amount in your saving account, to handle immediate repayment of loans since you're working.

(ii) Medium: Since you're buying a property with your GF, I assume you'll be looking to marriage in the near future? So it might be prudent to keep the ASM and Unit Trust to fund for family planning, since starting a family needs more money that you imagine it to be.

Before that, you might want to review your mom's Unit Trust and ASM portfolio, so that the RoR will be able to meet with your targeted amount. Try contacting your mom's Unit Trust agent if he/she is still active to get some advice on it.

The Unit Trust/ASM fund can also be use as an emergency fund to handle something like your father's medical expenditure, if he is not covered with insurance.

(iii) Long: This would be something like your future children's education or for your retirement planning, which you might not be looking at this current stage. Your medium term saving can also be translate into long term saving if you didn't use them for their original purpose.

2) Gold accessories - you might want to keep them and later give it to your future wife. Try not to sell them unless you really need the cash for emergencies.

3) Property - I would assume this property is the one you and your father is currently living in? It would have be fully (or almost fully) paid off if it is covered with MRTA. You can keep it if you're still staying in it, or convert it to a rental home if the local market is good. You may also looking to sell it in the future to cover your big expenses, like for your future children's education fund or your own retirement fund.

It is good that your late mother has a Will written so that most of it is fully covered. Just patiently wait for the probate lawyer to discharge all her liabilities and assets.

Last word, above are just my personal advice, and your situation might be different from what I imagine. Hopefully my advice above can help you in making some headways at your current predicament.

@child0fgod Thank you for the advice and long write up, must have taken quite a bit of your time. Appreciate it a lot. A lot are saying the FD is not the best way, as I'm privileged banking they do offer slightly higher rate of 2.45%, which is still low compared to the others like ASB/KWSP etc. What could be my options? I came to think that FDs are the best way to stop direct access to my funds because the only way to withdraw is going to the bank and putting my thumbprint in.

@cliffusngmg1
A lot are saying the FD is not the best way

Understanding the purpose behind a financial instrument will help you alot in making your decision.

Whilst it is true that FD offers one of the lowest rate among all financial instruments, it is still being offered in the market for a reason. Apart from your traditional saving account, FD is one of the few financial instruments that allows a depositor the flexibility to withdraw their cash anytime, and gives a slightly higher interest rate if you did not encounter any emergencies that requires you to break the FD.

It is true that ASB/KWSP & others offers better returns for your money, but imagine you suffered from an accident/retrench from your job, and needs a considerable sum of money for a period of time. Can you withdraw them in the short span of time while retaining your initial invested value?

What could be my options?

I noticed that you mentioned you're a Public Mutual investor, Public Mutual do offer money market fund which gives daily interest, just like TnG+, and there is no sales charge involved. It is better to ask your agent on more information for that fund.

Cyber attacks is getting more sophisticated, so by locking a sizable amount behind FD/investment portfolio, we are effectively reducing our risk by transferring it to the regulated company to safeguard our wealth for us. But we must also be cautious ourselves to prevent our hard earned wealth from stolen by unscrupulous parties.

@child0fgod Oh yes I'm contributing monthly about 300 to money market fund in PMO as part of my emergency funds. Will consider parking part of the FD there also, since there is daily interest. Thank you. Since I never bought ASM/ASB as it is directly transferred over to me, to reinvest in these funds, is it as simple as depositing money in or is there like a waiting list to see whether there is someone selling only being able to buy into it?