@h8sin2luvgod
How would one value a DB pension pot? I've seen figures like multiplying the yearly income figure by 20.

I tend to assume I'll live to about 84 and multiply by the number of years between the normal pension age for the DB pension, and age 84.

I've got one DB pension worth about 8K PA from 63.5, which I figure is worth about 164K, and one worth about 5K PA which I can't take till 68, so that's worth about 80K.

So I reckon my pension savings are worth about 244K in real terms.

I did consider transfering the 8K pension into my new scheme not that long ago, but the transfer value they offered me was atrocious. I mean, less than the sum of the contributions atrocious.

The CETV is not really intended to be a measure of the value of the pension so much as it is an estimate of the cost of providing it. But either way, don't use the CETV as an indicator!

@jane14 Like any rule of thumb/guideline, that kind of thing is based on a "typical" career trajectory, and an assumption that you have a baseline lifestyle/quality of life that will stay vaguely consistent through your life. The idea being that those pension savings levels will roughly (with compound interest) allow you to maintain a proportionate lifestyle into retirement

So yeah a salary increase can throw that assumption off, but only if you have significant lifestyle creep because of it. And since you're earning more, you can balance that lifestyle creep with additional pension savings

So you only come a cropper if you use all your new income for a better lifestyle without using any of it to top your existing pension up to being consistent with that lifestyle

@seekingchristiancommunity It's worth noting that this doesn't really apply to Defined Benefit schemes. I know that's not the case for OP, but I like to mention it in case someone with a DB scheme is reading this and confused at how far disconnected their pension is from it

Eg at

@seekingchristiancommunity Is current gross salary the best benchmark here, or would it be better to think of the portion of your salary that you live off after paying for things that you hopefully won’t need to in retirement, such as your pension contributions themselves and stuff like mortgage that might be paid off, etc.

@bigpgone Most people don’t save nearly enough for retirement especially early on. How often do we get posts here in the vein of “I’m 53 and have four buttons and a moth in my pension pot, help!”.

It’s usually a case of lack of education rather than bad decisions. Most people have very little idea of how pensions (or personal finance in general) work because they’re rarely explained if you don’t go looking.

@bigpgone Obviously it depends on how you want your retirement lifestyle to compare to your working lifestyle, but if anything I'd say it is less conservative for higher earners.

Lets say you earn £20k per year and reach 65 with 10x your income in your pension, £200k. A 5% drawdown is £10k per year. With the ~£10k state pension, you're basically in the exact same position as prior to retirement.

If you earned £100k per year and reach 65 with 10x your income in your pension, you have £1million. The 5% drawdown gives you £50k per year. Add on state pension, and you have £60k. Significantly less than before.

@hache No, you don't need to contribute 40% of your salary to a pension to end up with 10x your salary. It's generally closer to 15%, and some of that (probably a larger portion fir higher earners) will come from the employer.