Low energy dehumidifiers worth the investment?

@graybuffalo We've been using dehumidifiers for several years although not for laundry. Just because we've lived in flats and bungalows, and single-level living tends to be a damp experience because of poor design and airflow—and also because the UK is a damp country.

If we don't use them then rooms tend to get that telltale mouldy vibe to them, and sometimes even mouldy smell. It doesn't help that my wife collects clothes, so our wardrobes are jam-packed. This apparently is a superb way to build-up moisture in your home...

We've two Ecoair desiccant units. Desiccant tech is supposed to be the most energy-efficient way to dehumidify. I measured them recently using a plug-in wattmeter and they're around 400-600 watts when on full.

That's quite a lot of energy in today's world. With a kWh unit price of around 33p, we're looking at around £1 per day to run each one for the length of time we do. But they do throw out heat, and because our gas central heating radiators all have modern TRVs, they should effectively help heat up the room without overheating it.

The water tanks fill up in about two to three days.

I don't know if our experience is unique but these desiccant tech units tend to break down quite a bit. I think both ours went back to the manufacturer for repair. I think one had to go back twice. But that was around 8 years ago, and they've run OK since then. But the larger of the two tends to overheat and periodically turn itself off if the Turbo setting is used.

@graybuffalo I have both these units in my house. Bought the one from Toolstation first about 2 years ago then the one from screwfix.

We had a mould and condensation problem in our house so we have one upstairs and one downstairs to help with humidity and dry our clothes.

The blyss model is a lot more powerful and effective at drying clothes. I would buy this one if I was you.

@graybuffalo We can set the threshold humidity on the one we got, so it's not trying to dry out the entire North West, just kicks in if room humidity >70% or whatever.

In summer, when it's drier, we lower the threshold humidity. It also has a night mode and turbo mode (which we've never used).

@graybuffalo I have the same model, bought from Screwfix as well. Only used it to dry plaster before my house was painted.

You may have given mine a new lease of life with your post, thanks OP.

@graybuffalo What’s the take on the peltier type dehumidifiers?
I’ve seen loads on AliExpress for quite cheap and would’ve tempted to have one in each room but hesitated as I fear they won’t do much. Can anyone confirm?

@mheppell They are useless.

Once you get a decent compressor model dehumidifier you won't even look at a peltier one.

I have 2 compressor dehumidifiers one for upstairs one for down. Lowers the moisture from 70% to 55% in less than an hour, whereas a peltier would take a day or so to do it.

@resjudicata Thanks I thought that might be the case. I got one from Lidl the other week which was a 20l model and it’s been really good. I guess I’ll stick with that for now.

@graybuffalo Feels warmer after running the dehumidifier for weeks. Gone from 80 percent in a few rooms to 55 percent when we turn it on. Usually 18 degrees feels chilly but it's been pretty warm at a less humid temp.

@graybuffalo My condenser drying uses 2kW roughly. But it will also dry 7kg of laundry in 2-4h ... so 4-8kWh or £1.25-2.50 (@30-35p/kWh.)

I still think is much more efficient than all of these dehumidifiers.

And it's part of a washer/dryer machine so it can do it all. The addition of the dryer component to Samsung washer was only £300.

I do hang most laundry out in the conservatory and it gets warm enough even this time of year.

@graybuffalo Use it for certain things and not for others (usually 60C is prefect for a wash/dry combined but not for kids clothes, as an example).

I miss the drying cabinets I had in Stockholm to be honest.

@resjudicata I considered both dryer and dehum for my clothes and eventually settled on dehum because it doesn't just do clothes it does the whole house too. I have to be strict about switching it off promptly or it'll end up costing as much as a dryer.