Low energy dehumidifiers worth the investment?

@graybuffalo Compressor
dehumidifiers are very inexpensive to run. They are cheaper to run than a tumble dryer, put less stress on clothes and can also be used to defend against damp. The waste heat they generate also heats the room.

However, they are also expensive up front, around £100.

You can often get them second hand. They are very robust things and will last for 20+ years if the filter is cleaned regularly. When they do break they are generally easy for a professional to repair. When you go to buy it, ask the person to turn it on for 30 minutes before you arrive and then when you arrive, check if the cold section (usually visible through the filter) has condensation on it. Failing that, wait to see if it's dripping water into the collector.

It will probably continue dripping for a bit if the tank is removed. Tilting it can also prompt water to flow towards the drain port. If this is happening then it's running properly and can be bought.

The kicker - they are often £20-30 second hand. I have three, one was filthy and needed opening and cleaning and was free, one was "broken" and just needed the drain port unblocking (used tweezers) and the third was £10, the plastic is a bit yellowed.

I do dry my clothes on the line outside in summer, because that's free.

@cinamon Compressor ones can be quite loud however. I can sleep with a desiccant one in the next room, not so with all the compressor ones I’ve had.

@mechie I do agree that the dessicant operation is silent and the compressor makes some sound, but the fan is the loudest part in all three of mine.

@hesgoturback Yes, quite. We live in an old granite cottage with no damp course - it’s a choice between running dehumidifiers or having mold growing on the internal walls. If we keep the air “dry” we don’t need to put the heating on so much.

@resjudicata 100%, this was such a wise investment. No more costly tumble dryer shrinking everything, laundry is basically effortless. And it deals with any excess condensation quickly, which is brilliant when you're trying not to turn on the heating. It even warms the place up a bit. Three thumbs up!

@graybuffalo If a dehumidifier is "inefficient", that means it's using more electricity to extract the same amount of water. But all that electric energy doesn't vanish: it gets converted to heat via the heater in the device, friction from moving parts and resistance in the circuitry. So if you're only running it in colder months, what you lose through inefficiency you save from putting less strain on the rest of your heating.

@cinamon Barely anyone has heat pumps though tbf, so really you need to compare with gas - remembering ofc that dryer air costs less to heat, so it's not as simple as a straight cost comparison.

@heartnsoul19 Dry air using less energy to heat is a red herring, the difference is about 3% more energy per degree Celsius.

This is because the difference between wet and dry air is a water content of about 2% of the mass.

@bowwoooxd Compressor dehumidifiers don't work very well in low temperatures. The efficiency of the unit drops as the ambient temperature drops. The colder the air temperature, the less water the air can hold.

@graybuffalo I agree, dehumidifiers are fantastic.

I can't tell if yours has a humidistat. If it does, you can set it to 50% or so and forget about it. Just empty the tank now and then. If you hang washing, it'll increase the humidity and start the unit.

@graybuffalo Always use mine in the colder months. Fantastic for getting clothes dry quickly and avoiding any rooms starting to get damp. No idea what it costs to run but I’ve never noticed it enough to worry!