Lost Jewelry Claim ???

iyanuoluwa

Hi!

I received a pair of diamond earrings from my dad for Christmas (worth about 4000). While on my way out of town (I had made 4 stops since leaving my apartment), I noticed I only had one earring in.

Upon my return, I have turned my car and my apartment inside out and I have not found anything. Does anyone know if I can make a claim with my renters insurance for something like this? I want to replace one earring and I would honestly be happy with any amount of monetary help from the insurance. I have an eRenterplan with LeasingDesk but I cannot find the fine print of the policy anywhere online.

Please help :(

https://preview.redd.it/z2e7nkv55fh...bp&s=a4430799b7a5f47075bab39740f58993a4c4bae4

@iyanuoluwa TL;DR: Renters insurance does cover jewelry, but usually only for theft and only up to your policy’s sublimit for jewelry, which is typically $1,000 or $1500. Unfortunately, renters insurance does not cover jewelry if you lose it. If you scheduled an endorsement to your policy to extend coverage for jewelry your limit might be higher.

It sounds like you lost your earrings, which renters insurance would not consider a covered claim. I’m sorry, but if you scheduled an endorsement to your policy for the earrings then you might be able to file a claim depending on your insurance provider

Is there any chance that the jewelry was stolen? Renters insurance does cover theft, so you would definitely be able to file a claim, but again, it would only be up to your policy’s limit. You should check the personal property damage section of your renters insurance policy. Jewelry should be outlined and you will be able to see how high or low the sublimit is.

Source: I am not a licensed insurance agent. I’m an insurance editor at Policygenius where I write about all the ins and outs and frequently asked questions about renters insurance. Feel free to follow up with me or ask any other questions — happy to help!