L&G PMC Multi-Asset fund 3 suddenly ballooned

@8675309 "L&G PMC Multi-Asset Fund 3" is the default fund that our pensions were put into when we switched to L&G a few years ago. I then switched to "L&G PMC World (ex UK) Equity Index Fund 3", which tracks a global equity index, because I will not need the pension for quite a while yet. Past performance is no guarantee of future returns, but I'm quite happy with that performance summary.

https://fundcentres.lgim.com/en/uk/...ndex-Fund/?isin_code=GB00B4QBYH95#Performance

Would it be correct to say that, in the event of a crash, historically equity markets recover within 2-5 years?

@niamh55 ! thanks - that comment on the other L&G fund is useful, as I've been trying to work out the bewildering array of L&G funds.

From a quick look historical recoveries have varied; Black Monday, Covid, 2008 all fairly quick, Wall St crash and Dot Com collapse much less so, I think?

@8675309
I've been trying to work out the bewildering array of L&G funds

I started here:
https://fundcentres.lgim.com/en/uk/workplace-employee/select-product/

and then selected
  • WorkSave Pension Plan (generation 3)
  • ticked Equity
  • ticked Passive
  • select "Global Equities" under ABI Sector
You are then left with about 11 funds. Some of them allocate a proportion to the UK and are named something like (50:50), so I ignored all those. Then there are a bunch of speciality funds (ethical, climate etc) which I also ignored (lol - you might feel differently).

After that the only ones left that I would consider really are NED3 (L&G PMC World (ex UK) Equity Index Fund 3) and BAW3 (L&G PMC Global Developed Equity Index Fund 3). BAW3 looks new so does not have any history.

@8675309 2008 took a few years, so hardly quick if you were planning to retire that year. COVID turned out to be negligible despite a massive initial drop.

@8675309
Edit: Oddly the performance chart my pension shows isn't the same as the performance shown by L&G in the link above,

Your personal rate of return will differ from the index's because presumably you've been adding to the pension over time, and not simply dropping a lump sum and letting the pot ride with the index fund's value? Each month you've been contributing you've been purchasing different (fractions of) units of the fund, when the prices were low you'd have bought more units, when the prices rise your regular monthly contribution is buying less (but of course the units you've already bought are now worth more than when you bought them). This all makes the comparison more complex than just following the index fund's chart.