Kiwibank now have Google/Apple pay, so you're out of excuses for banking with the Aussies.

@wedinn I was 25 and in a financial hole, I had been with them for years. Went in for help and advice only to be told “we don’t do that, you’ll have to call this number.”

Walked next door into ASB, got to sit down with someone who made me a cup of tea and the rest is history.

@memorybible You got referred to the hardship team...that's literally what every bank does, FYI. Branches ain't got power to do shit. I'm sure the taller cold have delivered the message better but not the best reason to leave them.

@wedinn I tried to get a mortgage with them. Kiwibank morgage guy wouldn't even come see us. 3 times I organised to see him, to him cancel last minute each time. Only reason i tryed 3 times is because i really wanted to support NZ. Went to asb. Easy. Didn't hear back from the kiwibank guy. Guess they didn't want another customer.
I'm with tsb now and they are ok.

@wedinn Kiwibank is so notoriously bad even the government doesn’t use them. There’s huge issues with them failing to stop direct debits even upon instruction from the agency/business collecting the debit which causes a nightmare for everyone involved to go and process refunds for just one example.

@wedinn Well as an immigrant to NZ, when I was trying to buy my first home i thought I'd do the 'right thing' and go with a local NZ bank. I tried kiwi bank, tsb and co-op, can't remember if there were any others i tried. They all told me to get fucked. I figured I must not be in a financial position to buy a house but thought I'd try asb just incase. They all but gave me the loan on the spot. They're not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but I'll never bother with local banks again

@wedinn Only excuse? Tell me you don’t have a lower rate mortgage elsewhere without telling me you don’t have a lower rate mortgage elsewhere

@rtaylor11214 How do you know, and what services do you use?

Why shoot the country in the foot for "services"?

My banking is 99.9% done through the app, and I'm pretty confident my mortgage has been marginally cheaper for a decade now.

@wedinn
My banking is 99.9% done through the app,

And there we have it. You clearly don’t actually do anything with a bank that requires talking to a real person. Not that you can with kiwibank any more given their hardon for closing branches left right and centre. I’m glad we moved from them, they were always behind everyone else and they haven’t really got any better.

@wedinn I get better credit cards & cashback rates with the Aussie banks. Better loan & savings rates with the Aussie banks. Multiple accounts with zero charges, and dedicated support with Aussie banks. Oh, and there are far more branches out there instead of hunting for whatever post offices left that still have a Kiwibank kiosk..

No thanks. "local" doesn't necessarily mean good.

@alleylehmann I think you think you get better rates.

Cash back is a way to try to get you to use your credit card even when there are surcharges, my Airpoints rate probably beats the cashback anyway.
- paying 1.5% to get 0.67% back is silly.