Just finished the trial for Progressive’s Snapshot discount program

@tjcomedy I had it for a month and called today to turn it back in. I work a federal job and commute an hour to work at 3am. There are a ton of stop lights on the way that I have to stop for sometimes i have to choose between hard braking or running a red light. Every day i get dinged a couple times for hard braking. After a month of having it the app rates me as a 1 star driver and said I was on the way for a rate increase. I believe due to my early am driving that it considers high risk and unavoidable hard braking for red lights. Going home in heavy traffic can be a 2 hour drive and i tried my best to not hard brake and i agree not doing it is dangerous. After canceling snapshot Progressive is charging me 200 dollars which is the discount I received they said when I signed up. I do not recommend snapshot to anyone unless they are retired and don't need to drive except for short commutes to the grocery store.

@tjcomedy I signed up for Snap Shot. 3 cars one driver hoping to save money. 2 classic cars sit in a heated garage 95% of the year. I had to replace the batteries in both those cars at $235 each. So in reality it cost me to use Progressive

@tjcomedy I'm doing Snapshot now, the plug in version. I am retired so we don't drive much and are never in a hurry. I have noticed that Snapshot obviously wants me to blow through yellow lights rather than slow down. I have had 6 hard braking warnings in 2 months and every one of them has been from slowing in the same 50 mph zone for yellow lights. Since I figured this out, I go through them now and have had no issues. I'm still only a B+.

@tjcomedy Risky driving hours? What if you HAVE to drive at “risky hours” to get home from school or work? Sounds like a program that’s setup to fail lol. Thanks for sharing your experience!

@tjcomedy

I am a bot whose sole purpose is to improve the timeliness and accuracy of responses in this subreddit.

Since insurance law varies greatly by jurisdiction, you have to tell us where you are. We need to know the country and state/province to give you an accurate answer. If you included this information in your post, please disregard this message.

LocationBot 4.999988713 83/601rds | Report Issues | TdUO5NmMWlXWXJFcjJzZ

@tjcomedy So I had snapshot and they actually raised my monthly so I canceled and went to another insurance. But now they’re emailing me saying I still owe them a balance. They’ve been sent a cancellation notice the day prior to the cancellation date so I’m confused and the money they’re asking for is for the remaining months of the insurance. Is this allowed? They’re asking for nearly 1k. Or is this happening because I went to another insurance after being late on payment?

@tjcomedy Agent here selling Prog (only if I have to) and Erie. I agree, progressive's is crap. Erie's however just bought me an expresso machine between me, the wife and my son (well, knocked $300 off the price anyway). And I drive like a maniac in a Mini Cooper that's made for aggressive driving. Consistently score in the high 90s.

@tjcomedy Honestly just doing it for the initial discount is worth it saved me $50. I've had the snapshot like 4 times now because every time my 6 months is up my rates go way up and it's like $100 cheaper to do a new policy. And with my old car, the brakes were terrible so most of my stops were beeped at especially when going down hill. I've been able to keep my grade up this time by using the phone app and it literally hasn't registered any hard breaks /yet/

@tjcomedy Snapshot beeped at me whenever I made a turn without coming to a complete stop. This is Pennsylvania. It's all back roads that follow old field boundaries with lots of turns. I ended up leaving progressive after that.

They also insisted on mailing me a box to return it after I was told to keep the box it came in and use that to return it. Which is a little thing but it's dumb.