@amyperle Montreal is fun but if you go there and don't have the best time you will be pissed you have up so much money. Also the hours seem not the greatest. Maybe start with the higher paying one and if you want to move somewhere interesting (which is a good idea while your young) you can keep applying to those interesting areas but find one with better pay.

@amyperle Lots of good places to eat (all price points), free festivals, lots of things to do at all times of year. Its a good place to get some big city experience, if you are looking for it.

@amyperle You’ve said your GF would move; how does she feel about camp work with you away 50% of the time? Oil sands camp work can be hard on relationships, my husband worked non O/G shift work for 10 years. We had many (many) discussions over the years about whether or not it was still working for us. After about 10 years it stopped working for a variety of reasons so he got a local job in industry. We made it work, it wasn’t always easy but we have a strong relationship, are both very loyal, have no kids, and felt it was a good way to get ahead financially.

And it was. Absolutely. But most of his coworkers relationships fell apart. His previous boss had been married 4 times.

7 in and 7 out should be a breeze though. Hubby often did 14-28 out with 7 at home. That sucks. The dollars make sense for a camp job, and a week off a time every other week would be amazing. But talk to your GF about the reality of missing 50% of everything; birthdays, anniversaries, weekends, camping trips, family dinners, cousins wedding, whatever. You will not be there half of them. It’s workable, we just made sure to celebrate ‘whatever’ on a day that worked, but he was almost always gone for the actual day of. Not everyone will tolerate that, and resentment can build.

All that said, it was 100% the right decision for us to have made for that 10 years.

Good luck!

ETA: $22 an hour is sh*t pay for someone with a science/technical education. I wouldn’t take that either way.

@nobito Yes $22 is shit but that is what all entry-level(ish) jobs I can find pay. I even negotiated up from $20/hr. This is for the second rung up their ladder too, their entry position they pay $16-$18/hr.

My partner is okay with me going up. That is the main consideration aside from pay and location. I appreciate your perspective though! I hope to not do FIFO for too many years if I take that position.

@amyperle FIFO get your foot in that door!!

The o&G sector will get you a lot of OT and there's no money in chemistry like o&g money it's not out there. Do FIFO you won't regret being wealthy

@amyperle All the money in chemistry is in research. You want to move on from “quality control technician” type jobs as quickly as possible.
$22 is low, I wouldn’t take it unless I really wanted to move to MTL or saw valuable experience/good upward mobility in the company. O&G for $30 is better pay and will probably do more for your resume.

@7lilwords I appreciate that insight. I know I should move away from QA tech, but it's what I am currently qualified for based on my first job out of uni, so I'm drawn back into those.

@amyperle Would getting a more advanced degree (PhD) be something that interest you? You'd still get paid a stipend/benefits that's liveable and the job options for a PhD chemist are a lot better.

@resjudicata It does, but I do not know what area I would be interested in.

It's a big commitment to do and I don't want to go into an area that I will regret later. I think this is an internal, mildly irrational fear and I am trying to overcome it and go towards a PhD. I have done some PhD interviews after I graduated but was offered no positions. Now I'm looking to work and will continue looking for PhD opportunities on the side.

Do you have a PhD?

@amyperle I do, but it's not in chemistry. I totally understand it is a big commitment, and more importantly, you should have some interest in doing R&D (i.e. you have an interest in discovering something new through experiments and critical thinking). Some research experience would really help with getting into a PhD program (you could reframe your work experience even if it's only tangentially related to research). And I think for chemistry professions you could tilt toward more biological chemistry and pharmaceutical research or more material science and synthetic chemistry with the O&G field, which might be good to figure out.

@amyperle The Alberta opportunity sounds better and you can probably negotiate up.

You get every other week off - you could potentially pick up additional work or consulting or just enjoy your time off and travel.