amyperle

I am 25, a chemist and I currently have 2 job offers on the table.

One is based in the oil sands in Alberta. Fly in fly out for $30/hr 7 days on 7 off.

The other is $22/hr in Montreal, full time afternoon shift, working every other Saturday (and mostly 10hr days)

I know this comes down to what I prioritize, but I wanted to get the perspective of the folks here. I have lived in Alberta my whole life, so I do have friends here but my family is all moved away. My partner lives in Alberta, but would be open to moving. Both seem like solid options to me.

Edit:
To answer some general questions.
I have a BSc In chemistry with 3 years work experience (1 year internship as a lab tech and 2 years as a QA manager in a beverage company). I was paid $25/hr at my last job.

Currently living in Calgary, would fly into ft McMurray for 7 days then fly back for 7 off. 12 hour shifts while I am up there and not much opportunity for overtime in this position (I don't know why that was just what I was told in my interview).

To all who say these wages seem low. I have been looking for work for 6 months. My classmates are all finding similar paying jobs. In the range of $16-$23/hr for the most part ($16 being very first job out of university). I agree this is low, but it seems to be the going rate for a BSc in chemistry. For a higher wage I'd need to get a masters or a PhD. I am vaguely looking for that, but I also need a job to sustain myself until I can find that opportunity.

EDIT 2:
Most of the responses here are telling me to go for the O&G in Alberta. This is also what my gut says but I wanted to confirm with a faceless crowd with no stake in the game. I am going to go with the O&G offer, use it to gain some more experience and then see what options open up for me. I appreciate everyone's responses! Best of luck to you all, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your Sunday evening :)

@amyperle From a financial perspective, the Alberta one sounds much better. If the Montreal job and lifestyle is far more appealing to you then go for that, but otherwise I'd say to take the Alberta one.

@papabear101 Montreal also has better benefits but my friend is a chemist there and in order to keep your qualifications you will have to take their provincial licensing exam, in French, in 4 years.

So if you don’t want to learn French, go to Alberta.

@krusader Where did be mention he was living in Calgary? If he's in the oil sands, he's not going to be living there.

He also said it was fly in, so he might not be living in AB in the first place.

@amyperle Well, in that case, it makes zero sense to spend a bunch of money to move across the country for less pay unless you are looking for a reason to move to Montreal. Don't forget taxes are much higher also. Moving is quite stressful as well.

@peanut_01 They did say "not much opportunity for overtime in this position" though.

Plus they do get overtime in Montreal as well since they're working every other Saturday.

@amyperle Wouldn't move to Montreal for a $22/hr job.

What's the Montreal job though? I'm also a chemist. :D

Also would your partner be able to work there?

How is your French?

@aspie3000 Ya I live in montreal and surviving off of 22$ an hr is definitely gonna be real tough unless your job is covering your housing costs. The price of rent and food in montreal has jumped significantly over the last few years. 22$ an hour use to be a good salary in montreal, now it's like earning minimum wage.

@amyperle Couple thoughts from my
experience
  • camp life is tough on relationships, it can also be tough to build normal relationships if friends/family work 9-5
  • working through holidays at a camp+ no expenses during camp is pretty significant financially
  • Montreal is cool but if you are from Alberta and don’t speak French they will judge the shit out of you

@peanut_01 going 7 on 7 off, what would be your best advice in terms of relationship! Obviously everyone is different, but I'd like to hear. I'm leaning towards that job