@dhrandle Bachelor's of Chemistry, with 3 years work experience as a lab tech or QA tech.

Everyone I talk too says the pay I'm being offered is low but that's what I and my classmates are all being offered/making so I've just accepted it as the going rate.

I've looked for environmental work but nothing has gotten back to me aside from these two positions.

@amyperle Maybe you’re casting a net too finely? There are plenty of places that will take some degree even if it’s not specific. So I know mining engineers who work for road building companies. What they did is similar enough that they can teach the rest.

So you could look into QAQC roles in construction. You have learnt basics on what to check for, how to compare to a spec, how to write a report - now it’s just applying it to building a solar farm or something different.

You could look into a land acquisition company. I’m sure they need someone with a basic understanding of environmental legislation, but you’re not actually doing water sampling, just identifying possible risks.

You could apply for the utilities. EPCOR and ENMAX, or the sub utilities like a fortis, Transalta etc, or even the energy project developers - there are dozens of them operating in Alberta.

@dhrandle Thank you! I appreciate the ideas. I am uneducated in terms of what potential work is out there, and I find it very hard to find jobs casting a broader net. I've been given that advice before but I don't know how to put it into action. I will look into the companies you mentioned!

Unfortunately from my experience, engineering allows a lot of work whereas my BSc in chemistry is not catered to. I don't have knowledge of environmental legislation, only how molecules interact and form new compounds. Very interesting (to me) but not what industry prefers. Unless it's pharmaceutical research, but my grades don't seem to be good enough to get me there, and I don't have a masters or PhD to get me in either.

@amyperle The thing is, many companies are struggling for labour. Especially in renewables- there’s lots of investment and not a lot of workers yet. So if there’s a position you’re interested in but worried your qualifications don’t fit I’d still apply. For example, project management. If you can use excel and are able to communicate succinctly, there isn’t a reason you couldn’t do this.

Obvious caveats are where you need a specific designation - like a CPA or P Eng.

@amyperle If you’re serious about staying in AB - AB has a booming wind and solar industry, and they make up about 75% of all the new projects in 2022

Western Canada accounted for 98% of Canada’s total growth in 2022, with Alberta adding 1,391 MW and Saskatchewan adding 387 MW of installed capacity this year. Quebec contributed 24 MW to the total growth for 2022, Ontario 10 MW, and Nova Scotia 2 MW.

https://renewablesassociation.ca/news-release-canada-added-1-8-gw-of-wind-and-solar-in-2022/