Is this legit?

entwhistler

My husband just got a text from a number with the following message-

“Progressive Direct Insurance Co
Claim: claim number

Rep: rep’s name
Rep phone number: phone number

Hi husband’s name, my name is rep’s name with progressive insurance. Someone is trying to claim damages to your 2018 Chevrolet Cruz and states they happened while the vehicle was insured by us. If so, we can cover those damages so that you aren’t personally responsible for the money they’re seeking to recover. Please reach out as soon as you’re able to discuss this claim. Our job is to cover you for the time you had an active policy with us.”

So here’s the situation. Last May, my husband’s car was involved in a hit and run late at night. I had just had a baby and was not working and we weren’t able to pay for car insurance. So when his car was hit, we did not have an active policy on it and probably hadn’t for a couple of months at that point. His car was very damaged and would not have been safely driven and we didn’t have insurance and we also had no money to fix it, so we stopped paying on the loan, let the finance company know, and let it get repossessed. Since then we have been saving money to file bankruptcy on the car and have gotten a letter in the mail from debt collectors saying they sold the car for x amount of money and that we still owe x amount of money that was left afterwards.

Is this claim legit? Is this a scam? Can the debt collectors who bought the debt we still owe file a claim to try to get money out of us? Is someone trying to commit insurance fraud/identity theft?

My husband and I tried to call progressive’s “24/7” customer service number to which a computer voice said it could help and then said hang up and dial 800-progressive. We did that and it said the exact same thing again and told us to call the number we were on the phone with. We also tried the number provided in the text and it went straight to voicemail.

Please put my mind at ease one way or the other. I’m not financially well off, but we’re trying to get things figured out.

@entwhistler Hi! I work at Progressive. That does sound like the format we text in. It's always better to be safe though so I'd recommend calling the 1-800-progressive number and providing the claim number - someone will be able to verify if that is indeed communication you got from Progressive.

Edit: can't read, sounds like you tried that already. I'm not super familiar with our own phone tree since I never need to call it, but there should be an option to speak with a representative on an already reported claim.

@lerubi Thanks! I didn’t think of trying to look up the claim number until now. I found the claim on the website, but it’s a claim from early 2021 when we did have insurance that was already taken care of way back then. So now I’m even more confused.

@entwhistler Glad you were able to find it! As a tip - progressive claim numbers always start with the last 2 digits of the year it was reported in, like 21-XXXXXXX. That can help you narrow down what incident it's in reference to if you ever come across this again :)

Very possible that it could be a third party (lienholder, repo company, attorney, etc) in relationship to either you, your vehicle, or any other involved party trying to find extra money or coverages for older damages. Repo companies in particular are a few years behind, I've noticed. I wouldn't be too stressed out about it, but I think it would be worth your while to contact the claims department just to see what's going on. Your best bet at getting in touch with a claims rep would be between 8am-8pm EST since I'm pretty sure all of our call center reps are US-based. I'd personally recommend calling between 8am-5pm EST since our biggest presence is in Ohio so there's lots of reps available to talk to you then.

@entwhistler Yes, the company that held the note is trying to make a claim for the damages to the vehicle you allowed to be repo'd. That is also a valid text. Call Progressive directly using the phone number on their website, and you can verify it that way. Be honest with the rep and they will deny the lienholders claim as you did not have a policy in force.

@fcmanutd18788 So you get a new number. And you get a message about Bob and his 2018 Cruze.

Now what? What exactly do you think was said? Do you know what PII actually is?

First name alone? Nope.
2018 Chevy Cruze? Nope.
Phone number? Yes! Wait - it’s not Bob’s number anymore so NOPE.