Is there another sub that’s like a step between this one and r/personalfinance?

neco

I feel too rich for this sub and too poor for the other one. r/Frugal seems to be a lot of people taking the long route to save a few cents. Is there another sub that might be a better fit?

I literally receive EBT and live paycheck-to-paycheck now that I’m on my own, but I grew up upper-middle class for the most part and can’t relate to a lot of the struggles discussed here, nor do I feel like it’s my place to speak. (Apologies; I tried to say this in the least condescending way possible, but it’s really difficult to not come across that way when money is involved)

@neco You’re worse off than I am, but I’m still here. I don’t qualify for EBT even though I could really use it. I live alone, pay $1,400/mo in rent, currently make $2,300/mo or less (it changes depending on my hours) per month after taxes and live paycheck to paycheck. My goal for 2023 is to get a certification (probably in the medical field) so I can get a higher-paying job. I grew up middle class for the first half of my childhood and in poverty for the second, after my parents got divorced. This is the best sub I’ve found for people in my situation, but I also frequent r/frugal

@resjudicata I don’t qualify for any program either- none not state or federal - I’ve been paying income taxes since I was 10- I’ve worked my whole life, never collected unemployment, and I can’t qualify for anything! I’m alone too, paying a shitton of money for a tiny crappy studio and I make barely 1600/mo. I’m doing what I can do.

@daisiesmom You might want to reapply. The SNAP/food stamps income limit for FL is $2,266 monthly for a single person. That opens you up to other programs too.

I worked in a hospital for a short period of time. I was the barista and I made more than the certified medical techs and CNAs.

I'm just giving you some perspective because unless it's something you really want, it might not give you the salary jump you're expecting and you could do something else instead.

I might encourage you to look into bookkeeping or something computer IT-focused. I work sales/marketing but it's a smaller company and I assist with accounts payable tasks as well as a bunch of excel work. That work is pretty easy most of the time and is not difficult to learn and has the potential to really increase your income over time.

@sandragonz Check your local Whole Foods. Their egg prices are surprisingly low (actually it became low because they didn't raise prices like everyone else)

$3.39 for a dozen large (whole foods brand)

@abide Good advice but sadly the nearest Whole Foods is an hour away and across the border from me. Haven't bothered getting an enhanced license yet.

@abide Fuck Amazon. (Owns WF.) Just because I'm poor doesn't mean I have to give one fucking cent to that evil corporation.

Also I don't really like eggs, so there's that.

@findingrest It's suck that most of my childhood food i learned to cook and enjoy became luxury meat. Like when i was a kid, liver, blood pudding were really cheap because it was organ meat and they were almost giving it away instead of throwing it in the garbage but now it's priced at about the same price as steak. Same for the chuck roast. :/