Is there a rule of thumb for % of retirement contributions going towards traditional vs Roth in 22% tax bracket?

saawariya39

I’m a 52F planning to retire at 70 so I can take the maximum social security when it’s time.

Since I’m in the 22% tax bracket, I want to make sure that I’m mitigating my tax risk. Currently, my retirement contributions are as follows:

15% into a traditional 401(k), employer matches 50% of 4.25% and also contributes a lump sum of 3% each year. Amounts of matching and lump sum go up to 6% and 5% respectively in two years (pre-tax). Current balance: 99k

Max (roughly 7% of gross pay) into a Roth IRA, including catch-up contribution. Current balance: 16k

Max into HSA to start building investments for medical costs in retirement: current investment account balance: $1550, cash balance of $3k to cover maximum out of pocket expenses for the year

I also have access to a Roth 401(k) via my employer and have a current balance in that one of about $30k, since that’s how I started on my retirement contributions with my current employer when I started working there.

I became a lot more aggressive with my savings a few years ago, so that I can catch up and be ready when I’m 70.

So does this look reasonable to keep my tax bill reasonable both now and when I retire?

@saawariya39 The choice between Roth or traditional depends on your marginal tax rate. Since you don’t have a lot of savings, you should probably be doing traditional since it’s unlikely that your income will be higher in retirement than currently.

@randomallocation1 I’m not talking about one or the other, since I want to mitigate some of my tax burden now as well as when I retire (RMDs are a drag). I’m trying to figure out the balance between the two different types of retirement investment vehicles in order to hit that sweet spot of tax risk mitigation.

@saawariya39 Yeah I don’t think you are getting the difference between the two. It’s not even necessary to balance the two. Most people are better off 100% traditional since they don’t have a ton saved for retirement. That is your case.

It’s pretty simple: What is your tax bracket now? What is your effective tax rate in retirement?

Contributions get a deduction at your top marginal tax rate and get withdrawn at your EFFECTIVE tax rate in retirement. So you fill up the 10% bucket first then 12% then standard deduction before you starting paying 22% on any of your withdrawals.

If you make more money now and therefore have a higher tax bracket, go 100% traditional. You will deduct at the 22% bracket and withdraw at your effective rate which will be lower than 22%.

Lots of people try to create balance of the two when they don’t know their future tax bracket. In your case, if you don’t have a ton saved for retirement, 100% traditional is going to be better for you since you know you will make less in retirement than currently (and therefore will withdraw at a lower EFFECTIVE tax rate).

For instance, I am barely in the 24% marginal tax bracket currently and my effective federal tax rate was closer to 17% last year because of those lower buckets being filled first.