Is the Robinhood 3% match free money?

gracefulgalpal

Is the Robinhood 3% match free money?

I have about $100k in an IRA with Fidelity. It’s mostly invested in the default target date fund and I barely touch it. Robinhood is advertising a 3 percent match if I transfer assets as long as I keep it for 5 years and pay $10 per month in Robinhood gold.

What’s the catch or risk here? It looks like I could earn a cool $3k with this without risks.

I know Robinhood earns money on margins during trading but if I don’t do that and keep my IRA money untouched does that mean it’s essentially the same as keeping it in fidelity?

What happens during the transfer as I move to some fund in Robinhood? Is that where I may lose some money even for an equivalent index fund?

@gracefulgalpal The downside is that Fidelity will liquidate your position in the target date fund then transfer the money as Robinhood doesn’t yet have access to the target date funds. Does liquidating your target date mutual fund position cost money? Are you willing to manage your own money instead of using a target date mutual fund? Robinhood will match the fees you incur, but it may be a pain in the ass to actually get it.

@hannahgrace This is how Blackrock/Vanguard make most of their money anyways - rebalancing target date funds at scale. A target retirement fund expense ratio costs you ~4-10x the indexes they’re comprised of.

@reborn777 So this is always something I thought and never went with the retirement year portfolio. There were fees on top of fees. Never thought about the auto balance.

So I would just select some of the funds in the retirement portfolio and call it good

@onetruechurch4 Never forget that Robin Hood screwed thousands of people by shutting down trading multiple times when retail investors were beating hedge funds in a short squeeze. They will screw you.

@candycehill Right... its interesting, they would be paying $10/month or $600 to get $3,000, so robinhood is paying them $2,400 to use them, except if they shut down or you have to move for any other reason you just paid them money for no reason.