Is it worth it?

linc84

I’m 33. 3 kids. Boy 9 wants to play soccer, girl 8 wants to soft ball, girl 8 months old. Very trust worthy wife. I recently just had to leave my electrical job because my back is so bad because I’m missing a vertebrae and possibly pinch my spinal cord along with other medical issues. I can no longer do hard physical labor. A life insurance agency I’m not going to say who has just offered me a position with free schooling.

They give me 25 leads a week and I work my own hours, but they expect me to work from at the best hours first knock on door at 10am-8am bend the last knock on the door. The area i have to work is an 1 1/2 hrs away from my house so that leave me being away from wife and kids from 8am-10pm. A 14hr shift 5 days a week.

He said my first month I should make $12,000 which to me I think will be more like $6500. Idk he may be telling me the truth. He said I should make about $75,000 my first year or tow and my third year $120,000- $175,000.

Me and my wife are simple people and value Family very much but I am sick and tired of being broke, we all are. My question to y’all is, is it worth it? I know this will have several opinions, all depending on perspectives but I need those opinions. It’s hard to get out of a certain life style and understand another when you’ve never seen that side of the perspective before.

Yeah taking my kids on vacation whenever I want in a few years sounds nice but I’m losing a lot of time with them too. So…is it worth it?

@linc84 I do it on the side of my full time career and make an extra 5k-20k a month, but a bunch of the people I work with absolutely crush it full time and make phenomenal money.

@linc84 They're providing 25 leads and you are door knocking? Or you're knocking on those 25 leads? Is there any history to the leads ex: age, recycle rate, have they shown interest? It's great to have the opportunity you just want to be as informed as you can about what you may be getting into. Is the schooling you mentioned for the licensing? Are they going to pay for your licensing as well?

Telesales can be successful if you put the time and energy into it, but you have to put the work in and not get discouraged. There have also been quite a few changes to TCPA regulations so make sure you are staying compliant. It sounds like you may have some decent potential for referrals from your electrical work!

Being an independent has been a great choice for so many people so that they can truly work their own hours and income. Just make sure you find somewhere with the right support and resources so that you can be successful!

@robert519 I’m door knocking on those 25 leads and those leads average 50+ years old and those leads have shown interest. Yes the schooling is for the license. They do a 4-5 day “boot camp” hotel and food paid for then you go home a do like a 10 day online course depending on how quick you are. All free license paid for as well. I will look into the independent life insurance agent option as well before I make any decisions.

@linc84 Tele sales is better but honestly life insurance can be a burn out. That's why I diversified my business with other licenses that allow me to do more things. The time freedom and money are amazing. For the first time life made itself easy for me.

@javelinda Hmm that is also another field I’m very interested in. I started a Roth IRA and a brokerage account through Fidelity about a year ago. Recently within the last 3-4 months have been putting $100 week in my Roth. It’s just sitting there though until I learn where to properly invest it. Right now i have $1834.88 with only 6.44 shares in the Fidelity Contra fund. I stopped buying shares to figure out how to have a better diversified investment plan.

@linc84 Well we can have a private conversation if you'd like I can show you how to get started the most cost effective way possible and give you some free pointers on some funds that I recommend and use myself

@linc84 Sounds like you would be selling for final expense company. It has a high turnover rate for the reasons you mentioned. If you can afford the licensing on your own, do life, health, and accident, you are better positioned. You could try look at remote telesales to get some experience.

@linc84 I know FFL well because I know people who have worked there well. I would not recommend them per se, but you could do much worse.

They are not wrong about how much you can make. That particular schedule and those hours will kill you. Sounds similar to how I got my start but I started working for Combined Insurance.

There are better ways. Telesales isn't the answer in my opinion but that's me. That said, most people get into this industry through less than ideal means and this industry has given me a life I could never have imagined... Also starting in a way I would never recommend. It can be a fantastic career

@linc84 I misread the thread up there. You aren't being offered work with FFL.

Forget what I would recommend. I can tell you what I do, but what do you actually want to do?

25 leads a week, assuming they are direct mail and not stomped on is more than enough to write enough business to keep you doing very well. I would not door knock 14 hours a day, I would set appointments and then door knock in between if I had to. I would ask about contract levels. I would ask about training and ride alongs and making sure that the person who is training me has ever written real amounts of business. Your goal should be to write 4-5000 of annual premium a week. You should have contract levels thay will pay you 110-120% comission. You should be able to make a very good living working less than 40 hours a week if you do this. 75k year 1 for sure. Over six figures after.

It is hard work. But it sounds like you have done hard work. This is a different type of hard but not crazy hard. Like I said, great career. Changed my life.