Is it starting to not make sense with EV charging costs increasing?

@evangelicalexplosion
It's irrelevant how many people park at work, the cars that are at work still need to be charged, and not just 10% of them.

Correct, except you can't charge your petrol/diesel car. Majority of cars aren't EV.

Its not 10% of EV car spaces. It's 10% of all car spaces.

Not sure what you mean, but there's no way this country can charge EVs at night when we're at 100% electrification.

Definitely can, just need to charge outside of peak load in the early evening.

@veron So you think EV market share won't change during the life of these new buildings built to these mandates?

To be clear, I said capable of charging. That means having sufficient power and wiring, not spending the final $$ for the charger itself (which shouldn't be mandated as that can easily scale with demand and use whatever charger tech is current at the time).

@fruwdjsb91 I get 8c/kWh 12pm-6am.

Lose 5c/kWh feed-in on the weekend. It's much much much cheaper than petrol.

Unless you're going 50km+ each way to the office you can get by with only charging a couple times a week anyway.

DC fast charging is for roadtrips only.

@fruwdjsb91 Most people charge at home overnight, or free from solar during the day. There are also very cheap EV charging elrctricuty plans that give you $0.08/kwh overnight rates.

Don’t get sucked in by the headline fast charger/DC charger prices. Those are mostly used for long distance travel not daily use.

Also comparing the 72k EV6 to some 35k Toyota isn’t a relatable comparison. Your be better comparing ~45k BYD Atto3 to it.

Last edit: our Tesla model 3 has done just under 20k this year and is 85% charges by solar per the app. Remainder was fast charging on road trips and a rare grid topup on overcast periods where we got too low once a week.

@davinci1804 What’s your set up to charge from solar? I have a model Y and solar but no infrastructure to control if I charge off solar or not. Or anything to even see if I have excess solar to use. I just plug it in during the day and what happens happens.

@maejjs I don't know if this is a thing to only charge of PV and not use the grid. You'll just use solar power and if you charge more, the excess front eh grid

I have a 7kwh charger at home, 13kwh batteries and 6.6kwh solar. At most I can generate just over 5kwh from solar and my inverter can output 3kwh from the batteries

On a perfect day and low usage inside the house I can charge off solar and batteries. I can also turn down the charge rate if I want

However I have a special ev electricity plan where I get 8c between 12am and 6am and free power between 11am and 6am. If I am home I'll charge during the free period AND programmed my batteries to charge from the grid. It costs me nothing aside from the loss of 8c feed in tarrif from solar

I mostly charge overnight though and it's about $5 to charge.

@maejjs Use the ChargeHQ app. It coordinates between your solar system and the car to start/stop/alter charge rate based on excess solar.

There is also a free open-source equivalent called evcc.io which does the same but is more effort to setup.

Our solar system is 13kw panels, 10kw 3phase Sungrow inverter, SolarAnalytics, Tesla gen3 wall charger. ChargeHQ is set to use SolarAnalytics which refreshes every 5 seconds.

@spencer_3433 OP has en extremely efficient hybrid which is an outlier more than a common case.

I also have a hybrid (older one) that works out to be about 11c km. Even with a superfast charger rate, my EV is around 9c km

Still wins. Ideally you'd charge at home or use just regular chargers which are much cheaper (but slower)

@fruwdjsb91 In 2023 I did 96% of my charging at home, 4% at campsites and 0% at fast chargers.

I either pay $0.08/kWh overnight or about $0.28/kWh during the day.

Headline fast charger costs are for long distance travel, not day to day use.

What's your toyota hybrid? Are you actually comparing two cars in the same price bracket?

@fruwdjsb91 If you solely rely on 3rd party fast charging, then yes, it could be expensive. However, the reality is that most people with EVs don't and in fact relying on solely fast charging would be bad for the battery.

I own a Tesla Model Y and have driven almost 10,000 KM in a little over 5 months. I have used a Tesla fast charger only once and that was just out of curiosity.

I'm lucky to be WFH, but I still drive a minimum of 65 KM every day in day care runs, gyms, shops, etc. I use solar at home to charge my car once or twice a week. Looking at Chargehq, 73.5% of my charging has come from solar. I've spent $93.24 in charging from the grid (0.28c per KWh) to drive approximately 10,000 KM.

I get that not everyone can charge from solar at home. There are a lot of people who have signed up to Ovo and AGL EV plan which charge 8c per KWh during 12 am - 6 am and it works to be cheaper for them.

Even if I end up relying on these 3rd party chargers for the occasional long trip, it would still be cheaper for me overall compared to owning an ICE vehicle. I've done trips to the Sunshine and Gold Coast and I look for Airbnbs with EV facilities or ask for permission to use the 10 amp socket in the garage. This is more than enough for me top up and continue with my journey.

Note: This is my opinion based on my individual circumstances. I certainly don't speak for the entire EV community.

@fruwdjsb91 I’ve traveled 3,500 km in my BYD Atto 3, and have mostly cheated from solar. Grand total of paid power was $15 or so.

Cheating by fast charge is not the expected norm for most people. It’s for long trips

@fruwdjsb91 What Toyota hybrid do you have? I have one from 2012 and it's 60l and get about it 850 to a tank. Yours is insanely fuel efficient

Many people charge from home or use a 50kwh charger which is much cheaper. Using the superfast chargers is mostly for long distance travel

My EV has 64 kWh and can get 460km of range. You are comparing a really efficient ice hybrid car to a not really efficient EV

My 2012 Toyota hybrid can get about 850km on 60L.

Even on a superfast charger my EV car is a few c per km cheaper.

Also where did you get the evie prices from? It shows its cheaper than what you have said on their site

https://support.goevie.com.au/hc/en-us/articles/7389896864911-How-much-does-it-cost-to-charge-

50kwh chargers still cost 50c here and a 350kwh charger is 65c

150kwh is 60c

@fruwdjsb91 There has been a recent comparison between 2 BMWs. They were driven Melbourne to Sydney. The non ev BMW was $14 cheaper.
One of the non Tesla charger networks is increasing costs by 40%.

So you have to do your homework on where you will charge your ev.

Comprehensive insurance costs more for an ev.

You still have to recoup the extra $20,000 to $30,000 purchase price on an ev.

Novated lease with fbt exemption for evs helps to reduce the cost of running an ev

@fruwdjsb91 Meh I can fully charge my 64kw MG4 for $5 (AGL ev plan, 8c per kWh). I’ll take that over the $150 it costs me to fill up our second vehicle any day. Works out at $1.20 per 100km vs the $16 per 100 km I was paying for the i30 it replaced.