Is it starting to not make sense with EV charging costs increasing?

fruwdjsb91

Ev6 VS Toyota Hybrid (not that much difference in savings)
  • To put that into perspective. An ev6 has a 77.4 KwH battery with a estimated range from 290 - 595 km (depending on conditions), lets just say 500Km.
To charge that EV fully, it costs $38.7. Charge it twice and it costs to 76 dollars.
  • My toyota Hybrid gets 1000KM of range. It uses around 44L or 46L of fuel. It costs 82 dollars to fuel up (46 X 1.8).
Toyota Hybrid < 35K VS ev6 72K.

Does it still make sense to own a ev6 (or any other EV)? Charging costs went up 40% in one year and 20% in the previous year.

For context​

Electric-car charging network Evie increases prices by up to 40 per cent - Drive

Evie, one of the largest charging networks, just increased charging costs by a whopping 40%.
  • 22kW - from 35 cents per kilowatt-hour (c/kWh), to 50c/kWh.
  • 50kW - fast chargers will increase from 50c/kWh to 58c/kWh (up 16 per cent),
  • 150kW - 'super-fast' chargers will increase from 60c/kWh to 68c/kWh (up 13 per cent)
This is a substantial increase...

These were prices in 2022.
NRMA is charging 60c/65C per kwh too.

@fruwdjsb91 This is only true for people who need to use public infrastructure to recharge their vehicles.

There are many folks who have the privilege of having rooftop solar that they can use to power their home and charge their EV. It's one of the most overlooked examples of the "Vimes Boots" phenomenon, where it costs more to be less well off.

Edited to add: I find it amusing that the other two top level comments pretty much corroborate this, with both EV owners benefiting from owning a house with rooftop solar. EVs are cheap transport for those with the means to buy the million dollar house to go with it.

@staystrongmama We have a house that we bought for under $450k in Perth and now an EV. It's only 18c per kW to charge between 11pm and 6am so when we have to charge at night it's still cheap. We do have solar but if you don't then you can charge between 9am and 3pm for 8c per kW. Switching to this EV electricity plan also decreased our electricity bill as we moved out usage a bit. So we actually don't see the cost of charging at all.

@dewguru Similar story with me.

I get 8c between 12am and 6am and also free power between 11am and 6am

Our bills more than halved and we are using significantly more power

Last quarter before this EV plan our bill was $280 for about 750kwh

We used 550kwh for the last month and our bill was $65

@kathy9988 I know that during the day wholesale rates are basically zero and sometimes negative. We have too much renewable energy coming into the grid so I can see why they want me to use it then instead

@wonderingstranger Would expect to see the current ev batteries refurbed and used as house batteries in the next decade.

Even without refurbing, house batteries are slowly coming down in price that will hopefully alleviate the charging issue

@staystrongmama
This is only true for people who need to use public infrastructure to recharge their vehicles.

Yeah that's true but these days, bosses are asking more and more people to work in office.

How's that going to work if you have to go into office 3-4 days a week?

@fruwdjsb91 Being able to charge at night, even discounting solar, is still significantly cheaper at residential retail rates than using public infrastructure.

Plus some lucky people have the opportunity to charge at work.

@fruwdjsb91 The point of EV was never to be a frugal option for early adopters, it is to have emissions out of the city's and having people switch to green energy.

I think about another 10 to 15 years for EVs to become more frugal.

Don't forget having a car is expensive, it's a luxury many people forget.

Try riding a bike, taking public transportation or walking.

This will help the environment and save cost.

@veron Not sure what you mean, but there's no way this country can charge EVs at night when we're at 100% electrification.

It's irrelevant how many people park at work, the cars that are at work still need to be charged, and not just 10% of them.

So the calculation is how many cars sit at home during the day where they can charge versus how many sit at workplaces and other destinations.