Is it possible to buy US Treasury Bonds (T-bills, T-notes) as European?

brothermark83

Is it possible to buy US Treasury Bonds (T-bills, T-notes) as European? I think I'm not interested in ETFs (like IDBT) as I would like to hold the bond until maturity to earn better interest on my USD. If I understand correctly you need SSN or EIN to buy on TreasuryDirect.

I'm also happy to entertain other ideas for getting yield on USD, maybe except stablecoins.

@brothermark83 Yes. But you are not eligible for treasurydirect as european citizen. Just query your broker for e.g. an ISIN like US912796U641 on secondary market. There are brokers that won't offer it, but it should be possible.

@evietheturtle This is not really true.

Well its sort of is but new issue bonds future profits are already priced in as well so there is no real difference

Buying a new issue 2 year bond is pretty much equivalent of buying a 10 year bond that was issued 8 years ago with 2 years to maturity

Both will have the same YTM

@brothermark83 Not being your home / main currency definitely plays a big role in bonds. Otherwise people could enjoy those big % on all those foreign currencies, instead of getting those 0% EUR bonds.

IMO too many factors to make such general statement.

Yeah I kinda agree... but that goes in both directions. Those 4% are just not really 4% for you. Might be more, might be less... but it depends on many things.

@brothermark83 I'm trying to find something like TIPS, or short term bonds (3-6months) Hedged to euro. The 4% annual return -0.2% due to hedging seems like a perfect compliment to VWCE or VTI.

If you find what your are looking for send me a PM!