Is it logical to opt out of my pension?

fromtheearth

Hi, I’m an international PhD student working at a university. I have received my first month’s salary today which I realised was much lower than expected - it’s because they auto-enrolled me into the USS pension scheme. I asked about personal vs employer contributions so apparently I pay 9.8% of gross income while the university pays 21.6%.

I was ready to opt out before I heard the university contribution - sounds super high. I worked before and my employer was contributing the legal minimum.

I’m wondering if I should stay since:
  • I’m being paid peanuts (if you know the universities, you know) so losing 10% of my income really requires me to use my savings to survive in London - so would that be logical?
  • i might not stay in the uk much longer (maybe 5-10 years more) so not sure building a pension here is very logical if I’m living elsewhere. Also sounds like I can’t take my pension to my home country due to there not being an approved pension provider back home.
I have another pension with nest from my old employer though so I have some money already in the system (v. little though) - so should I just pay?

Edit: overwhelmed by the response - thanks everyone! I guess I shouldn’t opt out. I think I explained myself a bit poorly - I plan to stay in the UK for some more years but not necessarily in the university. So the USS benefits might only be for one year.

@fromtheearth You only work around 40 years for a pension so please don’t use, “it’s only 5 - 10 years”, that’s up to a quarter of many people’s earning years

Secondly, you can access you uk pension abroad, it’s legally yours

I can’t answer the affordability as you have not provided figures but it’s rare that someone should be suggested to opt out of a pension

@fromtheearth Remember if you opt out that 9.8% of your salary then gets taxed at 20%. Works out at roughly another £117 in your pay. People I know that have opted out of pensions are always surprised how little their pay goes up. If there’s anyway other way to bridge that shortfall I’d look at that before leaving a pension scheme.

@totesthegoat Plus the 20% on his contribution so another 1.92%
Free money at 27:1

And as this money will sit in your pension the longest, it worth more than any money you will put in.

Most pension are match up to 5%

You'd need to get a ~20% pay rise and put every single penny into your pension to match this in such a job.

@totesthegoat It’s not quite how it works as the 21% is how much the university pays towards the scheme. The amount you get back is unrelated to this amount, as you will get a percentage of your average salary. Just a point.