Is it legal to let parents use my Credit card for groceries and petrol?

chenoodles

Weirdly enough I can't seems to find any Q&A about this topic in Malaysia , please lend me your wisdom.
Planning to apply for Maybank 2 gold cards, and remembered my family montly spending could transfer to my card and maybe get some points.
  • Is it legal to give one of the card to them to use in home town ? Or maybe need apply for authorized individuals? Or .. it's Grey area again smh .
Also an off topic , heard some say CC across the board are basically same benefits, especially for me Low spender.. do you have recommend Card for this kind of lifestyle?

Thanks in advance!

@brettw This should be the only legit way provide to them , just thinking of skipping the registration and extra card fee if getting 2 gold cards.Oh, and they might see my transaction history haha.

@chenoodles I dont think there's a problem to give your principle card to your parents for norm usage, as long you're aware that you're responsible for paying the balances and also sharing your PIN to them.

Basically it's a risky thing to do (you can't fully control what they spend) even if you fully trust them to be responsible.

@judym Thank you , I'm just worrying that authority will find trouble if found out randomly.
You are right , other than legally I should worry about the over expenses since it's a whole family on a basic CC

@chenoodles Legality aside, you wouldn't want to share your cc's password with anyone. And if anything they want to deal with the bank about some accidental payment on the cc, that's gonna be a hassle for you.

Just give a supplementary card to avoid all possible headache.

@singflatly Got it , I think should definitely get a supplementary card just in case . Also, if spending that much on groceries and petro , 2 gold cards seems not that beneficial on getting points , and double SST fee every year ..

@chenoodles I have been doing that for many years. I didnt read the bank terms and conditions, i sometimes think it's not legal. Saw some arguments on lowyat forum years back mostly think it is not right because it is for you to use.

I do that because i usually have 3 or more credit cards and i just give her the one i use least.

If you really want to know what credit card best for you, it depends on your income level and your expense style. But without knowing these information, i usually recommend the card you are holding now. Which is the maybank 2 card.

Why? Most spending pattern revolves around petrol, groceries, some bill payment, online shopping at shopee/lazada.

I use amex to pay my phone bill (maxis, celcom, digi all accept) and unifi. Then for petrol i always pump during weekend at petronas. So far i have not come across any petronas that does not accept amex. Same goes to shell. Other petrol chains like petron is not a guarantee.

Then most big grocery chain (aeon, mydin, lotus, jaya, giant, aeonbig) and even speedmart99 accepts amex now. And shopee/lazada is our go to online shopping platform and both accepts amex.

The least accepted area is usually at normal restaurant as they usually dont accept amex. Fastfood like mcdonalds, kfc, burger king does accept.

If you plan your expense well, you will be able to make use of the 5% rebate from the amex version of the card.

@lynq This might be the best answer I found and researched in the last 2 months , what you described is like 90% of my current lifestyle, I'm not even ordering any grab food at all ( so the grab card is totally useless).

It's surprising to see Amex getting this much development in just 2,3 years, some posts I saw few years ago just complained, not many outlets accepting it.

I will think about 2 gold cards and other better cards for 4 apply for supplemental card , thanks for the reply.

@chenoodles credit card with points dont really matter if you're a low spender. you're better off getting a credit card with cash rebate instead although they have high annual fees.

alternatively - open joint savings account > create debit card for them > you pump money into the account as and when needed