Is it bad to ask for a pay raise with a competitor's offer?

@allenschwartzmd It's best practice to do what you're doing. Keep the competitor on the hook and just change between various firms every 12-18 months. Treat your employer like you would treat a telco - switch to whichever is offering a better sign on bonus.

Your employer will not think less of you at all. They will respect you more for knowing your value.

The more I charge, the better people think I am. The same goes as an employee.

@billyboy I reckon 12 to 18 months is too short. In my industry getting people on-boarded is a significant cost and I'd rather a candidate that will be around for 3 years or more.

@virtuous77 Then reward them appropriately so they don’t move. For good staff make the job you’re offering better than they can get elsewhere. Simple.

This is another lie taught to GenX to keep us underpaid. The latter generations don’t buy that b/s.

@blakebaka Make it a pattern and they simply won't even bother interviewing you. No company wants to waste money and resources on boarding someone that is going to leave in a year's time before they proved their worth.

Next time you go for an interview, why don't you tell them upfront that you're going to change jobs within a year and see how they respond.

Sweet spot I find is 2-3 years before moving

@redwolf6 Chances are people wouldn’t want to work for a company who sees advocating for yourself as a negative. There are many companies and recruiters on my black list.

Do companies tell you up front that they don’t bother to do the work to retain employees? Now THAT would be helpful and save them and me a lot of angst.

Weird that you think the onus is on us to not advocate for ourselves for the benefit of a business. Those boots can’t possibly taste that good.

@blakebaka You're so quick to criticise you're not even reading what I wrote. I'm not saying don't advocate for yourself. You advocate for yourself during the interview and if you're good, you can negotiate specific pay increases or bonuses for the next 1-2 years. If not, then you're stuck at CPI every year.

All I'm saying is that companies will see it as a red flag if they see patterns of the individual moving around too much too often. Key word being too often. Employers and recruiters will question why you're moving around so much. Maybe you have a valid reason to do so but if your sole reason is because of pay, then you'll eventually hit a wall where you're just asking for too much and no one is willing to pay you that much unless you move to a higher role.

I agree that it sucks that companies don't proactively increase your wage every year beyond CPI especially when it's warranted. But you have to understand that there is a lot more cogs in the machine when it comes to determining that. Fortunately for me, I have had bosses who have actively tried to advocate for me when it comes to salary increases. But even then it's been a difficult process.

@redwolf6 Again, I’m not sure anyone would want to work for a place or manager that is out of date and sees moving around as a negative. Back in the 90s 2-3 years was seen as a negative,

The world is changing and this is becoming the norm even in senior roles.

We’re not even talking about actually moving but using other offers as leverage. I’m not sure they’re open to negotiating a 15%+ increase every year or two plus money isn’t the only lever. I’ve even negotiated for increases for my team because ‘budget constraints’ left me underpaying and/or losing key staff.

ETA: do you really think your ‘make it a pattern’ line isn’t saying don’t advocate for yourself by testing the market regularly and moving when it suits?

@billyboy Need to be careful with this advice. Jumping around every 12-18 months makes you look like a potential flight risk. It may depend on the industry and the role but companies will question why you move around so much so quickly. I find the sweet spot to be 2-3 years.

Also, need to be mindful that pay isn't the only thing you should consider when changing jobs. Work culture and environment is equally important. For me, the offer will have to be at least a $20k difference for me to consider moving from a workplace I enjoy working in. Obviously this is different if your current workplace sucks and you're looking for an out.

@allenschwartzmd As per a friend, you'll be on a blacklist with the HR team if you stay with your current employer. I was kinda in a similar situation even though i loved my team, good relationship with manager etc. I accepted the offer from the new company.

@allenschwartzmd Why not take the offer you got.

What about next time your need a pay rise, do you have to go out and find a new job there to

You are being under valued, someone comes along and values you higher. Go to them.

@dzheremi Hmm i like to think both ways. They are sensible people, so the next pay review cycle they will be careful not to underpay me as well? It depends really and i can't guess what they'll do!

@allenschwartzmd My experience tells me otherwise. But if you have made up your mind.

As long as you are happy never to work for that other company again. They will be unlikely to interview you next time you want to use them for a pay rise

The don't even value you enough to match the offer. They are offering you less

@allenschwartzmd I did this,

A rival offered me 15K, my current company offered me 10K to stay with a "possible" promotion in 12 months.

I was promoted in 10 months, with an additional 15K pay raise.

I'm not saying trust your company, but I did trust my boss, now I'm 25K ahead.