Is Discovery Black Card Travel Insurance sufficient for a Schengen Visa (Italy)?

ruien2

I’ve been trying to find information on this but between Discovery not making it clear where to get the cover certificate and VFS not really specifying more than “30 000 EUR of cover” is needed for the visa. I’m a bit hesitant to just apply and find out.

I found a document stating that Black and Purple clients are underwritten by Chubb, and there seems to be sufficient cover. Over 750 000 USD in medical expenses and a host of other things I’m sure is normal.

TL;DR Just wanted to see if anyone has used the included credit card travel insurance when applying for a Schengen Visa or am I going to have issues?

@alexbavib And if you’re with Discovery banking, you might be with Discovery Health. They give 90 days medical cover abroad as well. Get that letter/certificate and that along with the travel insurance should be sufficient

@ruien2 I use the chatbot on the discovery website - quick and easy. Say you're traveling to X country over XY dates and require travel insurance and a visa letter. Done.

@ruien2 I think that we found it in the health app and not it the banking app. We were able to update where we were going and have the cover printed with that specific country name

@ruien2 If you log in to the portal discovery let you generate an international travel insurance letter letter per visa type. The one for Schengen indicates 30k Euro, I think. Print that and take it along.

@ruien2 I had Discovery classic saver and all I did was request an international travel insurance certificate (didn't cost anything as far as I remember) and that was enough for a Schengen visa to Amsterdam and to Sweden (seperate visits and visas)

@ruien2 I think it’s super super important to note that the cover of this insurance is INCREDIBLY limited, and you should speak to Discovery and “upgrade” the insurance package provided

@ruien2 Don't know about discovery, but I've always used the free insurance from my Amex Centurion and never had an issue. It's also from a local insurer with 10 million medical cover

@ruien2 Yes - the EUR 30 000 specifically refers to medical cover

In fact, all free credit card travel insurances in SA are generally sufficient for a Schengen visa (generally)