Investing with private banking worth the fees?

@estacks From their website "Client securities accounts at Interactive Brokers LLC are protected by the Securities Investor Protection Corporation ("SIPC") for a maximum coverage of $500,000 (with a cash sublimit of $250,000)."

@thequestionistgirl I am curious regarding point 3.

On IBKR there are FX futures (from CME). Has anybody hedged their FX exposure using them? Imagine I’m 100% invested in an ETF tracking the US markets and I now want to hedge my USD exposure. Is it correct that I have to buy the FX futures on margin, which I assume is costly?

Assuming it is on margin, can I circumvent the issue by simply buying (for example) S&P 500 futures. Thanks to the leverage of the future I don’t have to invest 100% as is the case for an S&P500 ETF. I could then use the rest of my cash to buy FX future.

Regarding question 1: I seriously doubt ZKB or Alpenpartners will pay of. Most of the time you end up paying fees (advisory ans trading fees) for the personal touch and the entertainment factor and not necessarily for outperformance.

@oaken Yes, you can use equity futures to reduce the FX exposure associated with foreign equity exposure, compared to a direct investment. (With a futures contract, you limit the FX exposure to the collateral plus the mark-to-market changes, which normally is significantly lower than the notional amount.) However, you among others need to consider the associated roll return of equity futures, which is negative if the respective markets are in contango and you are long. Another consideration are the dividends.

Perhaps more importantly, although generalizations are difficult, the long run benefits of FX hedging are less clear for equities than for fixed income. One way to look at this is to consider that a weakening foreign currency in a market you are invested in can support exports for firms operating in that currency, and it can be beneficial for their currency translations if they operate globally. This may drive nominal valuations in the foreign currency.

If you want to hedge on IBKR, I would compare the effective cost of a CFD position and an FX futures contract.

Edit: added clarification on why the FX exposure is lower than the notional amount with futures, typo

@thequestionistgirl Not worth it. Go with IB or Schwab (I think FX fees are higher at Schwab).

Personnally, to avoid a bit of withholding tax and limit dividends, I would select the following funds:

VTI + Xtrackers MSCI World ex USA UCITS ETF 1C + an emerging fund based in LU or IE

You can also add a tilt fund like VUG

@thequestionistgirl "Do not invest through banks"... Yep that's what Poor's would say...

It hinges on your definition of a significant amount. If it's below 1 million, opt for ETFs and self-manage. If it exceeds that, you can still use ETFs but through a bank, ensuring you don't incur additional fees while having personalized account management.

@thequestionistgirl I think yes, but I'll be in the minority. :)

The main thing that they give you is piece of mind: you do not need to think about investments and how it reacts to world news. Sure, others recommending just buy&hold with VT are mostly correct: it's a solid strategy. However, it's very boring. Then you turn into options and you just can't stop, and you start getting 100% a year, ... it's very addicting. But I digress.

1, the tax office cannot classify you if you don't manage your trading. period.

2, 100% of my portfolio is in USD. I don't hedge, because my return is way higher for me to care about hedging. Historically the CHF/USD hedge was not a good bed, and I don't know what the future brings.