@eng That is true but I do not have other choice as I am looking to DCA quarterly and I only have such amounts of money. One alternative is to start from Bursa stocks as the entry point would be lower but US stocks appreciates more in the long run. Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

@thenoble If your capital is 1k on a quarterly basis, I hate unit trust but I think it would be a better option for you since the fees are higher than regular share purchases, i.e., 0.5% but lower for your case.

I’m speaking from a fees perspective for the above.

However, if u insist on buying ETF, you can either accumulate your capital and buy it on say a yearly basis or every 6 months. That would lower the fees per transaction.

@thenoble Do not listen to the guy recommending you to start with unit trusts.

Also, how does Bursa stocks have a lower entry point?

Just go with the Irish-domiciled S&P500 ETFs bro.

You really cant go wrong with this investment.

@andrusjarv Don’t be a clown. I did the math and showed him. What are you barking on?

Bursa shares have a lower entry point because it is cheaper?

I wrote that I’m not a fan of unit trust but for OP case, the math shows that it is cheaper than buying the VWRA ETF.

@eng Why would you recommend him to get into Bursa on the basis of cheaper fees.

If anyone is in it for the long run VWRA is a no brainer.

You'd be stuck with shit in Bursa.

You're only looking at the current cost and not even taking into account possible future growth/ performance. Would you rather pay $2 in fees now or lose $50 in the long run?

Also stock picking on Bursa is not recommended for OP here as it is much more risky compared to him/ her purchasing an index fund.

If you're comparing a shit stock to another shit stock, fees might be worth comparing, but comeon man you're comparing the S&P500 to Bursa?

@andrusjarv
  1. Did i recommend him to get into Bursa?
  2. For argument sake, Bursa isn't shit. Let me give you an example. The FD rates are approximately 3% ish in Malaysia. If you get into Bursa and purchase say Maybank shares which gives on average 5.5% dividend yield, is that shit?
  3. Again, for argument sake, you do not know the future growth/performance so saying that one market is better than the other base on that point is not valid. Assuming we are still talking Bursa vs US market, i'm predominantly in US but i have some stake in Bursa as their dividend yield is higher than FD. So, no idea why the comparison of 2 vs 50.
  4. Going all in on Index fund is just shooting yourself in the foot. Pick a few good companies (hint: the top companies of each index fund is generally a good place to look at) then have some in index fund is a better idea.
Last but not least, don't be so closed minded when it comes to investing.

@eng Well go look at Maybank's performance, measly 6.83% growth from 2008 to 2022.

What good is there if dividend yield is great but performance is terrible? Sure, we cannot predict future performance but 6.83% growth?

Do elaborate on why going all in on index funds is bad.

I am certain that going all in on VT is 100% ok, if not recommended for a beginner investor like himself and nobody is going to end up shooting themselves in the foot.

Each their own, if you're gonna get your son to stock pick then by all means go ahead.

@andrusjarv Maybank is a dividend stock. Not a growth stock. If I put my money in Maybank, I’m not after capital growth. I want the dividend payment. Sure, there are better places to park ur money but if is between FD and Maybank, I’ll take Maybank.

Performance terrible? Again, not a growth stock. Not looking to grow capital. If I wanted capital growth, I’ll go for a growth stock.

I didn’t say going all in on index fund is bad. I’m saying they are better alternatives or better allocation of portfolio.

Don’t be a close minded fool. But if you are fine with ur measly 8%, sure go ahead and load up on index fund.

@eng Good luck beating the market/ S&P500 😎 Well for Maybank stock, you should factor in your stock price devaluation as well into your dividend yield... wonder what's the % net yield you'd get in return.

@andrusjarv The S&P is -15% lol. Any energy stock purchase lets you beat the S&P already. 🤦‍♂️

Look at the past 5 years, Buying APPL alone beats the S&P yearly. Is not hard dude. Heck, the highest weightage stock for the S&P is APPL.

Maybank share prices doesn’t fluctuate that much if I’m not mistaken. I haven’t bought any but diversifying into bursa isn’t a bad idea. Not like I’m going all in 😂

@andrusjarv Tbh why waste time arguing with the guy, it's obvious he's a beginner investor, anyone that touts dividend stocks are beginners, its not called dividend stocks, its called value stocks

@thenoble 'Only invest what you are willing to lose' is a good quote you should know of before venturing into investments.

If your scholarship allowance is something you can do without I'd say go for it.

IBKR fees are one of the cheapest out there, I personally use the platform and I would suggest you to start now. You can purchase fractional shares through IBKR so the minimum investment isn't an issue.

Do not invest in unit trusts. Do it yourself through IBKR and place all of this monies into an Irish-domiciled S&P500 ETF.

You can diversify in the future when you have more cash flow.