Investing as a US Expat in Denmark

@karomar I use them! Have for years... (they basically set you up with a Fidelity account, btw. No minimum investable assets, (unlike Creative and the rest) and no PFICS, etc. I also find them quite easy to communicate with, which is an improvement over some of my other experiences. 😇

@justanotherpoet For US citizens living abroad usually Interactive Brokers and Schwab international are good solutions. You can open an account with them and trade assets. Alpaca is a broker I have been using as well.

I'm currently building an automated financial advisor in this space (similar to Wealthfront or Betterment if you are familiar with them), if you are interesting to try a beta version we can chat.

@debshirl My advisor automatically builds a portfolio tailored to the needs of US citizens living abroad.

The main problems for US citizen are that they need to use a US brokerage for tax reasons and that many US financial advisors don't work with them because they are not licensed to serve clients not resident in USA.

I focused on Italy to start because that is where I live, but I'm happy to chat with folks that live elsewhere, learn more about your needs and eventually tune my software accordingly.

@justanotherpoet Millionaire expat is a good book to read. The guy is Canadian however shows you how to invest passively in index funds. I do my own couch potato investing since living abroad. You can open an account fairly easy next time you visit the US through any firm with 0% fee. I’ve saved a bunch of money by doing it myself and not a real high level of thinking just set it and forget it.