Interviewing after starting at a new company, when to communicate this?

mullygrubs

I recently left company X for company Y, and am in the first week of company Y. I am also currently interviewing for company Z.

When I sent my resume to company Z I was still with original company X, so I don’t have company Y on my resume nor have I mentioned that I now work for company Y.

If I get an offer for company Z, when should I let them know I work for company Y now? I’m assuming it will come up in the background check so I don’t want it to be a surprise to them.

Also, if I leave company Y for Z, should I even offer any leave of notice if I’m only going to be there a month or so? Im definitely going to wait until the background check clears for Z to say anything at all.

Edit: wanted to clarify I will definitely accept company Z’s offer, it would be significantly more pay and in a field I’m more interested in than company Y. Just wondering about the logistics of informing both parties of what’s going on.

@gyx Company X was undergoing layoffs so I was applying at multiple places. Company Y’s interview process was faster than company Z so I accepted Y, and then Z contacted me for interviews… but Z is my first choicd

@mullygrubs If you get an offer for Z, don’t accept it. Word-of-mouth about your looking-for-better can tank your reputation. (Like, a person harmlessly flirting with someone at a coffee shop and their spouse showing up and catching them). Ask for a few days to think about it. Then , decline it, saying you got a different offer with some better benefits. The news keeps saying there’s a recession coming, so you might need good will between you and Z if you get laid off from Y.

Edit: also, sleep on it. Read more responses to your post. Then, in the morning with fresher eyes, decide what to do and act on it.

Edit2: a similar thing happened to me. X was awful. I accepted Y, but had one reservation: they were hiring a new Dept head, 2 levels higher, and wouldn’t let me meet her in advance because she hadn’t yet started . Z wanted a phone interview with a panel, so I did the phone interview to try to get more knowledge about their company and a relationship, and then a few days later, I let them know I accepted an offer elsewhere. It turned out great for me because Y was a job that changed my life for the better in many ways. (And also great for Y)

Edit 3: seriously? Honesty is being downvoted? Sigh I guess I’m from a different time.

@sarahkuvington75 Sorry, actually meant that I would definitely accept company Z’s offer if given, it would be a higher position with higher pay and in a line of work I’m more interested in than current company Y. Was just wondering the logistics of when/if I should inform company Z that I have been at company Y for a few weeks and it wasn’t on my resume

@mullygrubs Ouch that’s a tough one. If it’s a really significant difference in pay and work, I’d bring it up to Z that you’re working for Y and be really
honest about it. If they decline to continue , then you at least still have Y. After Z gives you a written offer and finishes the background check, tell Y you’re moving on. But consider the money carefully - what seems like “so much more” could turn out to be not a whole lot once you put it into tangible terms (like, Is it as much as a car payment? Or enough for retirement funding? Find some-thing you can get with that extra money that you can judge it on) I’m too worried about reputation to pull this maneuver even given the higher wage , but then again, I’m a single woman with no kids and no mortgage, so money that I make is for retirement, not thinking about kids’ futures and such.

@mullygrubs I did this a few years ago, within 1 month into new job I got offered my current job at a different company. Went to my then manager's office, said an opportunity came to me and I've decided to take it as I couldn't pass it up etc etc... Started my current job 1 week after that day as it didn't seem to make sense for me to stick around 2 weeks knowing I was leaving and my then boss/company agreed :)

I mean you pretty much will be burning the bridge with company Y if you do leave so soon, but that's just how it goes.