International investing

cyncincyn

For all that missed it, a couple months ago, /@cbc8171 put up a post about getting some international exposure that wasn't the best received due to the phrasing and tone here: and I wanted to expand a bit more on it from my personal POV with extra research bits.

Just like ~3 months ago, I am starting to hear more and more chatter about "investing experts" around the office (likely due to the election season) and many people are regurgitating the same fallacy-filled points as I heard then.

Things like “Just put your money in an SP500 index mutual fund/ETF and forget about it”
“Only the C/S funds matter for the TSP”
“International stocks are pointless, most US companies in the SP500 do overseas business anyways”
“The SP500 always outperforms international stocks”
“You don’t need the L fund because of its worthless exposure to international stocks”

It is a lot better in this community, but maybe this can help someone out here as well.

People look back at the last decade and see that, on average, developed markets have not fared as well as the US stocks and further cement that “home country bias” (yes, it’s a real investing term) in their heads. However, that does not mean you should listen to these people! You should DEFINITELY consider investing in international stocks and equities.

To start, let’s put an end to the myth that the US companies do significant enough business overseas to ignore extra diversification. Based on Morningstar data in 2018, the SP500 generated roughly 62% of their revenue in the US and thus 38% overseas. Meanwhile, a broad ETF such as the Vanguard Total International Stock ETF generated 15% of their revenue in the US and a whopping 85% overseas – or a difference of 47%… That is HUGE! Additionally, international stocks represent nearly 44% of the global market, so if you “diversify” entirely in the SP500, that is what you are leaving off the table. After seeing the above, Alex Bryan, a CFA and the director of passive strategies for North America from Morningstar, recommended the following last year (https://www.morningstar.com/articles/937958/should-you-bother-investing-abroad):

“I think a small allocation of about a quarter to a third of your portfolio shouldn’t have a huge impact on the overall portfolio’s volatility because, even though that one piece of your portfolio might be a little bit more volatile, because international stocks aren’t perfectly correlated with U.S. stocks, the diversification benefits help offset that added volatility.”

Additionally, looking back at 2001-2010, check out the chart here:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/i...uTOvhlt2zj4aQ9xcZpLBaqZdzuO9vuWztvdHKQOwSnKtQ

As you can tell, developed and especially emerging market stocks absolutely crushed the SP500 index with the former more than doubling your return, while emerging markets multiplied that same return 11.3 times over!

Furthermore, from 2000-2009, US stocks lost 33.75% while emerging markets gained 89.22%.

If 2001-2010 is simply “too long ago” for you to care, consider the following data from 2005 to 2018:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/n...aphu0wNPhH9lOh4GcdcaI9EWCoLWX6cJYEEV0aIXG6nuA

The SP500 in the meantime returned the following:

2005 – 4.91%. 2006 – 15.79%. 2007 – 5.49%. 2008 – (-37%). 2009 – 26.46%.
2010 – 15.06%. 2011 – 2.11%. 2012 – 16%. 2013 – 32.39%. 2014 – 13.69%.
2015 – 1.38%. 2016 – 11.96%. 2017 – 19.42%. 2018 – (-4.38%).

Even with the GREAT gains you see above, the SP500 was a loser every time compared to the top international markets of the same year from the link before.

Additionally, you can see that the periods between the US market outperforming international markets are very cyclical even going as far back as 1972-2018 with the current cycle favoring the US for the last decade:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/U...KKlNryXaANAn-3t9aoN26ov32rfMVPe4324r2r6HuvEqw

Fidelity (another investing powerhouse) recommends a range of 30-50% of exposure in international markets and finds that going back THIRTY years through 2019, the best stock markets have all been OUTSIDE of the US. They have also mocked up a portfolio going as far back as 1950 through 2019 with their recommended 70 US/30 Intl portfolio, and you can see that the returns are the same as just the SP500 and suggests that international equity exposure may decrease portfolio risk over the long term:

1950 to 2019
US only
International
70/30 mix

Annualized Returns
11.30%
10.30%
11.30%

Standard Deviation
14.30%
15.10%
12.80%

Sharpe Ratio

(Hypothetical “globally balanced portfolio” is rebalanced annually in 70% US and 30% foreign stocks. US equities: S&P 500 Total Return Index; Internationalequities: MSCI ACWI ex-USA Index. Source: Bloomberg Finance L.P., Fidelity Investments (AART), as of April 30, 2019.)

A recent Vanguard piece from June of this year showed their own “in-house” simulation (from data current as of March 2020) that suggests the global non-US annual equity returns will beat out US-only equity returns by roughly 3% for the next 10 years. Of course this is by no means a crystal ball, but Vanguard is yet another heavy hitter in the financial world that encourages international investing. Coincidentally, their research further supports that having a 20-50% international market exposure reduces volatility as well here: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/l...LR4_ll7qktOK3G8j_i9H2q5ZRIFw7oLe7NsJ3i3xJfYMQ

The same article also references a few of the world’s largest companies that are NOT part of the US, but are likely well known to you regardless. These are companies like Alibaba and Tencent from China, Nestle and HSBC from Europe, as well as Toyota, and a few other international companies that account for the top 50 largest stocks in the world. Lastly, the article compares annual yields between the US and non-US equities which results in a difference of .65%, which should definitely be significant enough for anyone and everyone to consider an international portfolio. As you can see in the graph above, Vanguard also recommends adding an allocation between 20-50% to international equities.

There is a reason why the L fund changed and should be the default recommended portfolio. Please don't allow yourself to be roped into thinking that C/S is the only way to go, and please do not recommend it to others just because YOUR past results were positive.

@cyncincyn I appreciate you picking up this fight, but I'll warn you there's a lot of inertia and psychology lying underneath the surface of what seems like an explainable topic. You're in for a lot of frustration if you carry on. I try to just refer people to other subs for investment advice.

@cbc8171 Thanks! I thought posting the link about the home country bias might help out for people to maybe have some introspection about, but surely enough, the first response was nothing but that...

@cbc8171 Which subs do you refer people to now? I've been a long time lurker and definitely have appreciated the advice you put out on these subs.

@aria No sub is perfect, but r/investing is best. It has enough subscribers you'll get the "wisdom of the crowds" instead of some 1 or 2 egg heads. The bad thing about big subs is group think, but if I have to pick a poison, r/investing has the best blend of knowing what they're talking about and also sticking pretty close to the fundamentals and basics. You'll see proponents of 100% VTSAX there but usually the top answer is more reasonable. r/portfolios can also be good, but it's a mixed bag and has gone downhill the past two years. Some crazy smart guys used to hang around there, but now I see more dummies. r/bogleheads is sometimes too cultish, but even being named after the one proponent for all domestic investing, they, like vanguard, have mainly departed from their figurehead and usually recommend international as well.

@cyncincyn Does the I Fund/EAFE really encompass these emerging markets that have beat the S&P? It’s a bit misleading to cite ACWI and markets that we can’t even invest in

@mudhen Though I still think having I fund in your portfolio is better than not, if someone is willing to open up a Roth IRA or something alongside the TSP, I recommend they handle their international investments there, where there are better funds available.

Hopefully the I fund will shift to the new index that was promised, but in the meantime, your point is valid and I personally recommend opening an IRA if one is willing and able.

@cbc8171 Fair point but rebalancing isn't very feasible between a Roth IRA and a TSP. I would agree that the I fund is better than nothing, but the comparison here seems pretty off. To my knowledge the EAFE does not hold favorably to the S&P 500 for the last 30 years, as he mentions, and the EAFE is more correlated with the S&P than emerging market indices

@mudhen Although you can't rebalance from the "different pots of money" between a IRA and TSP, at maxing both the TSP and IRA, you would be contributing 23.5% (6K IRA divided by 25.5K total invested) to an IRA that you can then pick up those shares with - which is still much better than nothing for risk purposes. If you really wanted to do math, you can do something like ~10% into the I fund and then pick an only emerging markets fund like VEMAX in your IRA.

@cyncincyn But what exactly are you attacking people about? Because the alternative you’re proposing to a C/S portfolio doesn’t exist within the TSP. And likely, most of the people here advocating for a C/S combination are not using any investment vehicle besides the TSP. I don’t see someone being too apathetic to read up on international diversification but also motivated enough to utilize multiple retirement accounts

@mudhen First off, there is a big difference between attacking and informing. Not quite sure how you get "attacking" from my OP that's mostly just a conglomeration of various statements and studies done by many top tier investment heads. Unfortunately, there ARE plenty of people here, in /r/investing, the various TSP and investment groups I'm a part of on FB, and other communities that recommend ONLY US funds and specifically discourage people from investing in international funds entirely. And I mean not just in the TSP, but also for fund recommendation in Roth IRAs or regular brokerage accounts. As dipsis already noted, using the I fund is still better than not using anything at all if you, for some reason, are unable (or unwilling) to invest into other funds in whatever other accounts you may hold.

@mudhen Yet another reason I've never understood people being so pro-TSP. If you know enough about investing to have this discussion, you probably know enough to consider more than 6 investment vehicles.

@racheljay50 This isn't about "gainz". This is about limiting your volatility while not minimizing your returns. If you want to chase gains, I'm sure that TSLA calls from March beat every index, but obviously people don't do that because of risk. So why do essentially that on a smaller level with the SP500 mirroring indexing? You can see the Sharpe ratio in the chart provided in my post...

But to specifically address your point, in the first example (the 2001-2010 link), the MSCI IS an index, along with the MSCI emerging market index and many firms offer products that mirror it that shows that it beat the SP500 during that time. Also, the chart provided from Fidelity (1950-2019) specifically state what indexes were used and show that even while holding a 70/30 domestic/international mix, you come out with the same returns while having an actual total market exposure that limited your risk even more.

@cyncincyn Nothing in that rant answered my question.

Do you have any real data that identifies a specific aggregate international index outperforming the S&P 500 over the last 30 years?

@racheljay50 For the second time - this is NOT about OUTPERFORMING over X time, so why should I address the fact that you are asking about apples when the post is about oranges? This is about limiting your exposure to more risk at the cost of gains and the statements behind it.

And what is your question EXACTLY because there are plenty of PERIODS where developed and developing (world) markets beat out the SP500 as I stated and showed - which is how I understood it. Or are you looking at something SPECIFICALLY and ONLY from 1990 to 2020? The majority of funds and indexes for international funds were not even around for 30 years and I'm definitely not going to waste my time looking at individual funds to make sure it goes back that far.

@racheljay50 Yep, you got me. I guess you know better than CFAs and nearly all other fund managers and directors in the world that all recommend international exposures. Tell me your credentials again?

@cyncincyn Edi: replied to wrong comment.

99% don't do that. You're talking about active stock picking and day trading. That's not the entire investment world. US equity is one tool in the tool box. There are other passive, broad index tools to use. You can combine assets and markets into a portfolio to make it better.

If you only wanted to use one tool and one country, you'd be better off investing in Australia or South Africa as over the past 100 years they've done better than the US.

But nobody does that, and for good reason. The past doesn't predict the future. Just like how the SP500 had a different return for each 30 year period (1930-1960 & 1960-1990 & 1990-2020). No reasonable person expects the past 30 years to predict the next 30 years, because it literally never has.

So if you want to keep a narrow-minded focus on recent past performance, you'll never start asking the right questions.

Professionals and academics are fully aware of the fact that international performance has lagged behind US performance lately. No one is debating that. Yet because these people have context and formal education, they recommend international investment anyway for good reasons, with the intention of building you a portfolio that has the best chance of securing higher returns in the future. I promise it's not some elaborate plot to screw you out of wealth.