Interactive Brokers gets rid of monthly fees & minimal account values

jacob_

Interactive Brokers is probably one of the best brokers worldwide, but outside of the US (where the Free IBKR Lite account was available), one had to deposit at least 10k USD and there was a minimal monthly fee of 10 USD per month, unless your account value was above 100k USD.

For many people (including myself, initially), this was an important reason to go to another broker, such as an Interactive Brokers clone (Banx, Lynx, Captrader etc.).

According to the website (https://www.interactivebrokers.eu/en/index.php?f=38234), Interactive Brokers got completely rid of these requirements. I think this makes it very attractive for European and worldwide customers.

Clarification (kudos to @matheww1):
Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with IBKR in any way and this post does not contain any promotions or affiliate links. Just want to share the good news.

@mikealex315 IB didn't charge the inactivity fee for the first 3 months of 2021 because we all got "new accounts" due to brexit. My account went from IB UK to IB IE. And the first 3 months of any new account gets the fee waived. I received an email in April saying that I'd be incurring on the monthly inactivity fee again, of 10 USD, unless I had 100k USD or more.

Now, with these news, it's hopefully gone. I'll have to wait and see for this July.

Edit: Just received the email. Yupii

@jacob_ The 10k minimum was gone for some time, it is really interesting if they got rid of the 10$ month minimum also, if it's true they are the top choice for europeans price/quality wise, a top broker for a good price (buying etf's there is really cheap, like 1-2$ per trade)

@xlaurax Yes, the 10k minimum was not enforced for a while, but still listed.

It is my understanding that they got rid of both officially.

I also think it's a top broker. The only thing one should check more carefully is insurance (as far as I know insurance is much lower in Europe compared to US). However, I still think that IB has much more financial backing than many other ones, so it's an extremely reputable firm not involved in any risky business (no Lehman etc.), as far as I know...

@jacob_ What is the current status of the account transfers? With which company will a new account be created (IB Ireland / Luxembourg / Hungary)?

@jacob_ Have been waiting for them to finally adapt their offering in Europe! Now if they could focus on restructuring their website... 🤪

@jacob_ If this is true, it's amazing. I didn't get any email saying so, I think.

BTW, Trading on the US exchange doesn't cost 1 USD. It costs $0.35 or so.

@jacob_ If you want more info:

The price of us stocks is extremely cheap. Buying 1 or 100 Amazon shares only costs 0.35 USD. It only goes above 0.35 if you buy more than 100 afaik (never bought more than 100 in one go!)

Buying, for example, 20 shares of VWCE costs around 1.90€ for the first purchase of the month. If you buy it a second time, it typically only costs around 1.35€ because you don't have to pay the exchange fee again.

Tldr. Us stocks are incredibly cheap. EU etfs are really cheap! It's great!

@matheww1 Hi. I’m paying way more commissions than that for VWCE, I wonder what’s happening then.
could it be I’m buying the in the wrong exchange and I only get access to the fixed rate?