breeward

Hi guys, I’m just looking for some clarification on how insurance pricing works here because I’m getting absolutely nowhere in trying to get insured on a first car. For context I’m 21, have had my license for almost 3 years and have a 1 years no claims bonus. I was trying to get insured on a 1999 1.4L Honda Civic worth €2,500 and can’t even get a quote, I know the car is old enough however you do see people driving old cars around and they’re surely not paying extortionate insurance premiums? For the craic I checked to see if I would get insured on a ridiculously more expensive and way faster 2024 Golf R 2.0 worth €77,000 and insurance and that came to a somewhat reasonable €2.2k. How does this work for insurance companies, incentivizing someone to buy a €77,000 hot hatch vs a €2,500 shitbox?

@breeward No idea why but it can be a lot cheaper to insure more than one person on a car. Try different combinations of people (with their permission) like a parent or an older adult. My female friend got added to her partner's car and his insurance went down by over a grand lol.