dave56786

I’m not sure if this belongs here, but if anybody has a recommendation of where I can post it I’ll gladly take it.

I had an old paid for vehicle with collision coverage only. February 29, 2020 the car was totaled in an accident. The car was towed and I had to sign the title over to the wrecker company to cover the fees of the tow and the car sitting in their lot for 2 weeks. I signed the title over on March 9, 2020. I canceled my insurance March 16, 2020.

Last week I received a letter from the OMV that the car had been uninsured from March 16, 2020 until. March 10, 2021 and I owed roughly $600 unless I could provide proper documentation. My insurance company says they have no record of this being a total loss because it was collision only coverage. The wrecker service has record of the tow, a photo of the unsigned title, and notations on the digital invoice saying I signed the title over to pay for services owed. They are unable to print anything documenting that I signed the title over. I took what they did give me, a copy of the tow receipt saying no balance because of a sale, to the OMV. I was told I’d need either a copy of signed title or the bill of sale. The wrecker service says they can’t do that. They can’t make me a new bill of sale using the information they have. What can I do?

Edit to add this is in Louisiana.

@dave56786 "Collision coverage" means you had coverage for damage to the car thru your insurance. I suspect you're meaning liability only coverage. If your insurance wasn't involved then they can't help you. Your only option is to keep working with the tow company for the documentation needed.