Insurance for car used very infrequently

ladydeecee

I have a car 2012 bmw 660i at a place in California. Palm desert.
I only get to it a few time a year. And sometimes with months in between.
I was using pay per mile with Metromile. Worked really well but while the car was left unattended it went into sleep mode and lost gps and they wanted to charge me every day 100 miles due to no signal.
I cancelled it. Now I’ve tried to reinstate and they are no longer insuring on Cali.

So o need recommendations for how I have a policy that is as low cost as possible based on very infrequent use. Wondering.
1. Can I just start insurance then cancel and redo it each time. Seems like a pain
2. What are the lowest coverage levels I need to minimize cost. I’m prepared to take some risk there
3. Anything out there I’m missing that works for this scenario.

A Basic policy through geico was coming up at $200 a month. If I ratchet down and no comprehensive etc still $65 a month.

Any recommendations ?

@ladydeecee You can ask a few companies if they'll let you put it on a storage policy when not driving. That removes all coverage except comprehensive, then add back liability when driving it. But that would have to be coordinated with the DMV to not have the registration revoked. They may require you to turn in your plates every time which would be too cumbersome to be functional.

@raphacam Thanks, but like you say, seems like a pain. it's weird, there are several companies offering pay per mile that would seem like my best option, but every one no longer offers insurance in California. WTF !

i think my best option is going to be a minimal coverage policy then cancel after use

OMG, it gets worse, as i work through this, no pay per mile policies are valid in CA anymore, and now from other threads here on reddit, and confirmed by a couple of online quote applications, they cant even write a policy for 15 days, after it's submitted.

Absolutely bonkers !