Insurance Claim - Total Loss

ali64

Background:

Our 2003 4Runner was hit on the passenger rear wheel causing the vehicle to spin around and roll over. Driver of the 4Runner was determined to be at no fault. Our insurance is claiming a total loss based on the estimated vehicle value. We haven’t tried to deal with the at fault driver’s insurance.

My concern is that the vehicle in question was lifted, had aftermarket rims/tires, off-road bumper, light bars, roof racks, and aftermarket car audio. All said, the aftermarket add-ons are close to $7-9k, none of which is being accounted for. I’ve asked our insurance to include these items based on receipts provided.

What is realistic here? What should I expect? It doesn’t sit right with me that due to no fault of the driver of our vehicle, we are out significant money and time due to somebody else’s negligence. Should we file directly with their insurance or still go through our own?

@ali64 Unless you were paying for additional custom equipment coverage for all those items, you likely are not going to have them covered by your insurance. You are much more likely to have them covered by the other driver's insurance company since they would be liable to pay the actual cash value of the car with additions.

@wibble Thanks. Does it make sense to file a claim directly with their insurance for the difference once the loss amount is settled? My understanding was my insurance would work to get payment from the other party once settled.

@ali64 I've never heard of anyone succeeding at filing 2 claims for the same accident, but you can certainly try. Your insurance will work to get what they paid out back and then return your deductible but i don't foresee them fighting for the rest of your custom equipment especially after you weren't properly insuring the car correctly in the first place.