Input on salary negotiation

jt1980

I’m an NZ based TV producer selling and making shows for the international market. It’s time for me to negotiate a new fixed term contract with my employers.

Over three years, with a sales target of 8.7 million in revenue, I created and sold 14.7 million worth of ‘product’. Which are basically concepts for new shows we then got contracts to produce.

I think I’m on a pretty good wicket really but I’m curious what almost 5 mill in revenue per year would earn me in other industries.

My package: circa 180k per annum, 40-50 hours per week, 4 weeks holiday. There’s a bonus scheme but it’s basically unattainable. Rolling 3 year contracts.

What would I earn in real estate? Cars? Or any other big-ticket sales based industry.

I’m ignoring the fact I’ve got to invent the IP as well as sell it. Easier to just look at income per sales revenue for a comparison.

@jt1980 do you think you'd enjoy other sales based industries more than the (by the sounds very creative) industry you have now?

Do you feel you are underpaid, then consider what increase you need in order to feel like you are fairly compensated.

If you think the bonus scheme should be more attainable, that would be something to discuss during negotiations?

@ajebajeb This. Why not negotiate for like a 1 or 2% bonus of sales achieved beyond your target. Are you aware of what your colleagues/others in the field make?

Comparing this to other industries seems pretty tricky given the uniqueness of creativity, IP generation and sales.

@jt1980 Car's is hard work and you would be lucky to be pulling 180k normally big hours, but you will generally get a company car. I've got friends/family in the car game and a decent sales person will clear 120k-240k but its big hours.

Real estate is a different kettle of fish and it will take time to earn good money but the money can be crazy but you need to give yourself 2-3 years of barely earning anything.

Technical sales/It sales is probably the most lucrative you can clear 200k but its at the moment a hard field to get into and with all the tech lay offs it would be a hard ish roll to keep at the moment.

Given your salary and what your on all you could ask for is a more attainable bonus and I think you would be sitting pretty.

@jt1980 If you know anyone in advertising I would ask them this question using those figures. Would consider it a adjacent semi-creative industry.

If they are your ideas / concepts and the value of them is what you're saying it is I suspect you're being severely undepaid.

@resjudicata Also real estate is incredibly competitive.

People talk shit, but you actually have to be good to succeed in that industry because so many people consider it fast money.

If you move into real estate you’re most likely to be a property manager not an agent.

@salvationsoldier1072 Yep, and if you don’t have the networks established you’ll just work at a real estate agents office or wind up a property manager.

The idea that it’s free money is obviously wrong because lots of people go into the business and don’t ever become successful agents.

If something seems like a get rich quick scheme because the 1,000 people doing it are rich you have to ask”am I the 1001st person to notice, or are the another 9000 who never made it?”

@zofran Every Job you need to be good at to make alot of money.

In terms of big ticket item/service sales, real estate agents have it pretty good.

Any accepted 1 mill+ RFP is going to require alot more skill than selling property.