In my first year of college, I can finally work, what should I do?

clartyclark

I worked at Burger King for 6 months during my 6th year, but my mom insisted I wait until after my first semester of college to continue working. I attend Trinity College and prefer a job in town or within a bus ride from there. Despite not spending much, I mainly use my money for lunch. While I consider returning to Burger King in town, I'm also interested in positions at B&Q or Woodies.

Given my limited availability (weekends only due to school until 6 PM), I worry about earning enough working only on weekends, especially with concerns about night shifts affecting my studies. My primary goal is to save $5,000 by the end of the year for braces. Although my sister suggests going to Turkey for cheaper braces, I'm not comfortable with that idea.

How can I achieve my savings goal with just two days of work per week at likely minimum wage? Are there opportunities for evening work after 6 PM in college?

Additionally, is there a specific account that restricts withdrawals? I currently use Revolut but find myself dipping into my vault too easily.

@clartyclark Check in Trinity science building if you can take.part in experiments and focus groups for money.

Also don't listen to your mother about jobs...as a recruiter I'd rather hire someone with a 2.2.and real life working experience than someone with a first and no previous work, extra curricular or evidence of responsibility outside of their studies.

@betty4gators Thanks for the advice, ive gotten emails about studies since I'm part of the disAbility service but I don't think its a stable source of income, though I will keep an eye out.

My mother means well, I have ADHD so focus has been a really hard thing for me and when I moved from boarding school to day school it had a really bad effect on my grades, so she thought that I should settle into college first before taking up a job as well.

@clartyclark I used to do all the testing stuff and it was a nice little top up at the time. I've developed my own techniques due to ADHD too and for me my hyper focus kicks in if my schedule is full. It's prob not the best for my personal life /.emotions but the last few years I've come to understand myself better and learn to juggle. I spiral if I have too much space to think and dwell. Defo connect with the uni office and get any additional support you need.

@clartyclark I worked in the Westin during my time at TCD, can’t remember what they changed name of it now, it’s the big fancy hotel on Westmoreland. Good pay, shit management but you’re not there for a career so don’t worry about it

@clartyclark Putting a big savings goal during college is a tough challenge, you will have plenty of time during Summer to increase your working hours and save a lot more. Focus on making enough to get by during college and leave enough time for your studies, and during Summer you can work full-time and be able to save easier. Also for "Are there opportunities for evening work after 6 PM in college?" Bar work.

@clartyclark A food job like burger king is good, they treat U well,U get paid well(for what it is) and U get fed. If in city centre U can do at least one weekday shift after college. With regard to ur braces,ur sister is wrong,nobody goes there for braces,imagine travelling back & forth. Many dentists do payment plans so U could start ur treatment earlier. Do U need train tracks or "Invisalign". You can get several other "Invisalign" type brands that are cheaper. I paid under 2k for about 18momths of treatment

@penfire1 My manager at BK was so bad, he didn't let us have free food, or discounted food, and wouldn't let our coworkers be on till when we were buying food, even on our break, he said we had to wait for him to do it or we and coworkers would be accused of stealing, so we had to wait 5 or 10 minutes during a break-even to get food, because he made us wait.

Accused me of stealing from the till, said (It was only off when I was working that day) even though I hadn't been a cashier for 2 weeks at that point, and that's when I left.

Everything else was great, I got paid 9:50 an hour and the assistant manager was great, still one of my friends to this day but I won't be going back even though he's offered.

My sister's friend got her gums shaved down or something like that and some other stuff done it turkey but I told my sister that braces are long and complicated and I need regular appointments etc, the dental clinic near my house has already given me the name and number of the orthodontist I should go to so I think she thinks i need train tracks but ill talk to her.

Thanks for the advice.