I'm facing a complicated insurance scenario (U.K) and would appreciate advice

julianfan

I drive a Mercedes, and after a recent small accident, my premiums with LV surged from £250 to £490 annually. I didn't have No Claims Discount protection, despite holding a license for over 17 years.

Regarding the BMW my wife drives: I originally paid £230 for its insurance. This year, Aviva sent a renewal quote of £480, which I accepted. However, today, I received an email pointing out inaccuracies in my policy. Specifically, while I had indicated no recent claims, there had indeed been one. Due to this discrepancy, I cancelled the policy. I am expecting a refund, but in the midst of this, Aviva sent an email confirming my 11-year NCD. This raises the question: can I use this NCD when purchasing another policy?

Given my recent loss of NCD due to the claim and considering that my wife, being a secondary driver, hasn't accumulated her own NCD, I'm pondering a few options. One thought is to get the policy in my wife's name, though she has no NCD. Would this be wise? Any guidance would be invaluable.