[Illinois] Will I have to return my benefits?

@harris098 All of those facts are squarely in your favor. But like I said, if your contract co. argues that you failed to follow up according to procedure, that is the only issue. The reason and circumstances your F500 contract was terminated are largely immaterial. I had people get fired for cause and/or really good reasons, but kept them on at the placement company with no issues. Agencies include their UI tax costs in their pricing model, so it usually is not an issue.

Let me know how it comes out. Also, remember, the F500 people will not be parties if there is an appeal. It would be you and the contract co. and they will have the burden that they terminated you for cause.

@harris098 Being terminated is not an automatic disqualification. You'll need to explain the situation to the unemployment office in detail, including dates, times and providing any email or text backup you have.

You have two things going for you: you were working through a contracting company and you contacted them immediately after the assignment ended to find another job. You weren't terminated from the contracting company, who were your actual employers. It's a significant detail that should not be overlooked.

Also, you turned down a "promotion" that comes with a substantial change in duties with no corresponding increase in pay. It wasn't part of your original assignment and the changes weren't discussed prior to your dismissal. It's not that the employer didn't have the right to terminate you for refusing, but the question is, was it your fault? There's a really good argument that your employer basically eliminated your original position and was trying to move you to a new consolidated position. Be prepared to argue that the change was substantial, providing info about what the previous manager did and their compensation if possible.

The people who review these aren't just looking for reasons to deny you. And often times they have discretion to decide in your favor, they just need enough information to do it.

Lastly, why is your former employer waiting so long to contest your claim? You have deadlines you have to meet for appeals, they do to. I don't know the law in Illinois, but in CO if an employer came back 6 months later, they wouldn't get very far in the appeal.

@thisorthat549 I got the call from a nice lady at IDES, we had a good convo where I explained everything. She seemed to think what happened to me was shitty. When the call was wrapping up, I asked her opinion. She was very clear that it wasn't official, but she said I was probably OK.