If you're going to switch to the new tax regime, does it make sense to stop putting money in PPF, NPS, etc to simplify things?

@lazarus58 These are usually provisioned in your non basic salary.If you don't want NPS you'll get it in your salary after getting taxed. If you want NPS, that part will be sent into your NPS account and not show up in your salary slip because if it's part of salary slip it will be taxed.

@sonofzion
If you want NPS, that part will be sent into your NPS account and not show up in your salary slip because if it's part of salary slip it will be taxed.

You are mistaken here my friend. What happens in case of NPS contributions is that your employer still reports to govt and it will still be present in your Form 16 too. However, contributions to NPS by employer are exempted provided those are 10% of basic and total doesn't exceed 7.5L in an year.

So there would be no tax applicable. You can still very well expect those in your salary slip.

Note that your salary slip is not considered as the taxable income. There can be a lot of components which can be shown in your salary slip and yet those will be exempted in income tax (food allowances, fuel allowances etc)

@sonofzion Nope. Your HR is wrong. Employee contributions to NPS are not at all exempted in NPS in new regime.

Only Employer contributions (upto 7.5L in a year) are exempted from tax calculation

@atgeki Especially government ones. A recent retiree from Chennai burnes himself in the office of EPF and they still did not release his fund because apparently there is no record of him working in his job.

@hangnon2jesus I needed that money 3 months ago. Nothing to do with modernising. The UMNG app sms never arrives, request gets rejected etc etc. It’s like a bank, if everyone withdraws their money they won’t be able to pay everyone.

@hangnon2jesus They are not. Dealing with EPFO is a nightmare. I had to wait almost two years to get my account transferred from previous to current employer. They are the worst. They have their own INTRANET where if info is not updated they say they don't have info. All this while their main website shows all Info fine..but still keep asking annexure K from previous org.

Your local PF office cannot even help you as they will simply say go to PF office Where our account is, which can be sometimes in a different state altogether. Going there is simply not practical for you.
I literally went into almost depression due to this org. I had around 20L stuck due to transfer issue and at one point I was offering 1L on open forums to just get this transfer done.

@jerrymyers I was very persistent and one thing that did help was that my PF office was of Pune Akurdi (I am from Mumbai) and they conduct a Q&A every week by one of their employees. I use to join that zoom call every week begging for my case.
On their insistince, I sent registered post to their office with my details like UAN and service from and to dates of my previous jobs. I took printout of screenshot from their portal too to back my details.
After such followups I was able to get all done. If your office is not doing it and visiting it is practical please do so.
I was even ready to visit their Pune office as i am in Mumbai.