if you earn 7%, you will double your money in 10 years (rule of 72)

@mattmanticus lol...

reminder, dividends from REITs are taxable

OP makes it sound like it is a sure bet, but he failed to see the huge issue of surplus of commercial space, and other properties in general. not to mention the new trend of remote work..

@mattmanticus REITs are cyclical. Buy hold. Collect dividend.

Foreign ETF are also cyclical if you track passive index funds. Same concept. Buy hold and sell when make profit but keep investing.

Hold in multiple currencies. ETF in USD. REITs in SGD or myr if you prefer Malaysian. Best diversified and never keep everything in one category or country. I would consider banking stocks in Malaysia or Singapore which are also cyclical and inverse of REITS

Don’t be greedy.

@johndaniels
I would consider banking stocks in Malaysia or Singapore which are also cyclical and inverse of REITS

Don’t be greedy.

100% agree. only caveat is ...there is a point in time where you have to make the call to stop loss and get out. for MREIT a good example is TWREIT...its better to just get out and redeploy the funds

70% KLSE

15% VOO/AUD bond/ USD MMF

15% SGX/Sreits/HKX

thats my current split. im heavy in klse because 2018, 2020, the dip was too big to ignore, valuations too low to pass up

@mattmanticus Ya. Young that time i did that. As I approach 50, my risk appetite changed . My goal was to have 30 years expenses at 60 in EPF.
Now I’m 60% EPF 40% other currencies in various ETF, REITs, gold ETF.
I think as I approach 70 will start to liquidate equities and move to properties cause I don’t think I can make anymore rational decisions. Even now my eyesight and memory is declining. It’s just life.

@mattmanticus i have malaysia reits too, but i only buy it because i wanna have some investments locally. The danger of investing too much overseas is that if your oversea brokerage like IBKR has issues, you have to fly all the way to US to settle if you cannot settle it remotely.

I just treat malaysia reits like FD. Only buy when there is a dip so when capital rises, dividend rises too. Currently holding sunreit and pavreit. Both positive green for now.

@zainonechia
if your oversea brokerage like IBKR has issues, you have to fly all the way to US to settle if you cannot settle it remotely.

exactly. Im not agaisnt IBKR or US stocks. Just that ppl dont put enough thoughts to issues like this. And who knows...god forbid what if your online broker fails, or you fail KYC checks

@mattmanticus UOAREIT holder here since 2021. Mostly flat price with a steady 6-7% div. My initial thought was post covid the commercial property may see a surge but was more lukewarm overall. Eitherway didnt lose money and the dividend is steady.

@mattmanticus Yup, my own reasoning was there would be a push for post covid return to office but that gamble didnt take off. Eitherway no loss of capital and steady interest stream is a win in my books.

@blurredcontours Same. Gave up on Msia Reits too, and ventured into SG reits with more choices/options. Although there is some risky country concentrated risk like US and China region risk, others especially majority portfolio in Singapore/Aus doing well.