if apartment becomes uninhabitable

deb500

so.. how does renter's insurance work if your place becomes uninhabitable and you need to stay in a motel? send pictures?, then what? do you pick the motel or do they? since it's summer motels are really expensive so not sure how much they will pay out vs. if it was winter and motels are super cheap. how do they know when the damages are fixed? can I use this time to look for a new place to live or do I have to go back to the apartments once it's fixed (my landlord will use the cheapest way to fix things, so it will be more like a "bandaid" before the problem returns sooner or later.

and with that... I learned a landlord isn't required to put you up in a motel if the place needs repairs where you can't live there anymore.

@deb500 File a claim. Every renters insurance policy has “Emergency Living Expenses” it covers cases where your home becomes unlivable.

@deb500 They’ll even cover Airbnb’s. I recently had my apartment flooded out in February. They provided us with a hotel that had a kitchenette (to cut down on costs of eating out so much).