I negotiated 1k+ on my gross ACV for my totaled car

asong4him

EDIT: I owe an apology for misunderstanding what a negotiation means in terms of insurance. I guess providing documentation and then asking for more value is simply substantiating your ask and not actually negotiating. I stand corrected. I thought I negotiated and got really annoyed when I thought everyone on this sub just wanted what’s best for the insurance company, and not me. So, apologies. I’m man enough to admit when I’ve made a mistake.

I posted earlier on this subreddit about asking for advice on how to negotiate the gross cash value that I’m getting for my 2004 Honda Civic from 6k to 7k. I installed LED lights, ambient lights, apple carplay, android auto, sound deadening material, new speakers(front and rear), new wiper blades, got 4k worth of repairs done.

Happy to share that I was able to get it up to 7.1k because my policy had a clause in it that it would pay up to 1k additional for custom parts. Some folks on here told me that there’s no way I’m gonna get 8k for an ‘04 civic and this is not a negotiation, but I’d like to inform you that I was able to bring up the gross ACV from 5.93k to 7.1k.

@asong4him Good for you for getting what was owed. You didn't negotiate anything, for the record. You made sure that your coverage was correctly applied for the additions you made to your car. So when you were told that this isn't a negotiation, that was correct.

@davelew86 Quick question, I was thinking of removing the apple carplay radio from my car and using it in the next car that I buy, since it’s pretty much intact. Now that my insurance company is paying me for it, is it their property, or will they not care if I remove it?

@davelew86 Okay, again to clarify. They took into account the 4k that was spent on repairs (2k for parts) and increased cash value from 5.93k to 6.2k just for the repairs. So, I DID negotiate $300 on the value itself. You’re correct that the additional 1k was part of the policy, but I did negotiate $300, so you still are incorrect on that, and everyone else commenting “you didn’t negotiate.”

@asong4him No, you didn’t lol.

You supported the value increase to your vehicle through supporting documentation. That’s not a negotiation, they simply took your documentation and updated the report to reflect additional value supported by same.

@scottdarrygriffiths That’s literally what negotiation means… no shit I’m not gonna be like give me a grand more and not give any reasons with it? Obviously I’m going to support my ask for more money with documentation…

@asong4him No, it’s literally not.

And yeah, unsubstantiated, undocumented increases in value….like you see in injury claims, where values assessed are largely gray area guesswork….is a negotiation.

You provided documentation, they punched it into a system that said Value = Y, which you agreed to, isn’t negotiating a value.

@scottdarrygriffiths Damn, fr? I’m honestly flabbergasted by this discovery. I assumed negotiation meant just getting an increase in the value. Didn’t think negotiation meant “increasing value without providing documentation”. Seriously asking?

@asong4him Basically, yeah. Especially in an insurance mindset. Which is why everyone told you that the insurer wouldn’t negotiate, but explained how to verify everything to ensure an accurate value.

Quick example….If my vehicle is totaled, and I send in invoices for an engine replacement 5k miles previously and aftermarket components that add value, there’s no negotiation going on.

If they offer me 30 days of loss of use, at 24.50 (basic insurance intermediate rate), I demand 60 days at 55.75 (large SUV rate), and we come to an agreement of 50 days at 41.75 (regular SUV rate), I’ve negotiated my loss of use.

There’s a clear difference between the two.

@scottdarrygriffiths Gotcha! Appreciate the explanation. Also, lol. Can I negotiate this “loss of use” in my case as well? Is that included in the ACV or is this extra that I can ask for? Obviously assuming it’s a part of my policy.

@asong4him Loss of use is a payment in lieu of rental. If you received a rental, or if you didn’t get in a rental + your state doesn’t allow loss of use (some states mandate rental costs have to be incurred), then you can’t. Otherwise you can absolutely negotiate loss of use.

@asong4him EVERYONE. Just make note. They negotiated 300 dollars. 300!!! Gosh we are such idiots for not having access to all the file materials, your policy language and estimates. This is equivalent to someone bragging about the free fries in the bottom of their bag from some fast food place. No adjuster likely gives a shit to be honest.

@simonscion No, it’s not that. It’s just y’all reply with such an attitude as if a consumer wanting fair value for their car is asinine. All you insurance people act like a bunch of pricks instead of giving half decent advice on this forum. Instead of giving suggestions on how I can benefit from any clauses based on your experience of adjusting thousands of claims, you’re(other insurance folks) telling me “this is not a negotiation. You’re getting fair value. Nobody cares about your apple carplay and LED lights.”