I negotiated 1k+ on my gross ACV for my totaled car

@asong4him Well done. This place is interesting because it's mostly all people on the insurance side of the transaction. The distinction between negotiating and whatever they want to call it is completely irrelevant. I think it's some sort of ego saving measure but it really makes no sense to me.

In any case, this sub provides value for giving general information and procedures. People who have no idea how insurance works (that's most of em) can come here and at least figure out a starting place.

But when it comes to contested issues, this sub is a shit show. There are plenty of litigation attorneys who make fun of this place and have entirely different and valid opinions on these issues. So take the advice here with a grain of salt.

@trout11
Well done. This place is interesting because it's mostly all people on the insurance side of the transaction. The distinction between negotiating and whatever they want to call it is completely irrelevant. I think it's some sort of ego saving measure but it really makes no sense to me.

Yes, most people on here are being very snooty, when in fact,

"discussion aimed at reaching an agreement."

Was had, which is a colloquial definition of Negotiation.

Also, ACV on cars is very maliable, and while it requires evidence, it absolutely can and does move based on data provided by the vehicle owner. You have to provide data, but that doesn't mean it's not a negotiation, regardless of the internal language of the insurance carriers.

Because ultimately you can accept the settlement offer OR Negotiate to try and reach a more accurate settlement.

@trout11 Thank you! Appreciate it. Yeah I guess that makes sense too. I was honestly one of those folks who had no idea how insurance stuff works. Never had any medical/collision insurance issues before so it was my first time dealing with this stuff, and I was just looking for some advice from seasoned professionals on how I can get the most out of my insurance for myself. It was a bit disappointing to hear all the comments simply saying you can’t negotiate, instead of explaining in a bit more detail what they meant by “you can’t negotiate.” If they would’ve made it clear that I can get more value for the car by making use of all the clauses in my insurance and perhaps given a few examples, like they did now in this thread, it would’ve been more helpful than an outright “this is not a negotiation.” So I see what you’re saying.

@daluckyboy It was actually the normal good advice from this sub that got the OP the additional $1k because they did exactly what we tell them to do-compare the comps to their car and point out any mistakes/missing features etc to the adjuster.